Karynn Ehlanii Brice
Cmdr. Karynn Ehlanii Brice is currently the Chief Counselor on the USS Columbia.
- Shared with Ethan Brice
- Fairly simple. Most of her belongings, including her purple bedspread that was given to her by her mother when she graduated high school, were lost when the USS Independence-A was destroyed. Her one possession that was saved was her Canar. She has since replaced many of these with other newer items.
- Hanging on the wall across from their bed is her first anniversary present from Ethan. It is a heavy piece of parchment in a black frame. Along the bottom of the frame, in silver letters, are "Karynn and Ethan Brice, 238803.14". The following text is written in delicate black script:
- "The hours I spend with you I look upon as sort of a perfumed garden, a dim twilight, and a fountain singing to it... you and you alone make me feel that I am alive. Other men it is said have seen angels, but I have seen thee and thou art enough."
- Her canar sits in a carved wooden box on a shelf on the wall of her quarters, flanked on each side by a holo-picture of her family. On one side it was her parents and siblings. On the other it is Ethan, Matthew, and herself.
- She has a simple coffee table and a couch in the living area. Her bed is standard-issue (two-person).
- On the coffee table are two small models carved in grey stone. One is an Akira-class starship, the other a Prometheus-class starship. She bought these during leave on Alpha Centauri and sent a similar but larger model of the Akira-class starship to Ethan.
- Her quarters are soon to have a kitchenette designed by Kaitlyn Falcon, her friend from the USS Darwin-A. It has four parts: storage cabinet with small tables that would hinge up on either side, an oven/stove combination, a small refrigerator, and a sink.
- Karynn intends to take the design to her new operations officer as soon as she's aboard her new ship.
- As described by Kaitlyn:
- "All four parts have battery powered anti-gravs so you can move them around as needed. That system would also magnetically lock it to the floor, and it would work through the carpet we normally have in quarters. They clip together in pairs; cabinet and oven, sink and ‘fridge. The sink includes a closed-circuit replication system to generate water and eliminate whatever goes down the drain. You’ll may have to replenish its matter stream every so often, but the recycling should keep that to a minimum. Current power plan is inductive, meaning you won’t actually need to connect them to Columbia’s EPS conduits. Just set them up beside whichever bulkhead holds your EPS network tap, right up against the wall, and you should be good to go."
- Deck 7 on the USS Columbia
- Favorite Room: Her study/makeshift lab
- Deck 7 on the USS Columbia Chief Counselor's Office
- Divided into 2 areas: a space for her desk and a separate cozy sitting area - 3 comfortable chairs and a table - for actual work with patients.
- Taking up much of the space on the wall opposite the door is a window overlooking the arboretum.
- Paintings on the wall:
- a 3-D holographic view of a lush waterfall surrounded by trees and bushes and flowers. In the distance, sitting on a rock was a lone humanoid figure. In the genius of the artist, one couldn't really tell what race the figure was.
- On the opposite wall: a more modern composition, bright blots of color reminiscent of a Rorschach Inkblot test.
- A large pot of living flowers graces the low coffee table, accompanied by a few books containing illustrations of landscapes from a variety of planets, habitats, and ecosystems, abstract paintings, still-life, and even a couple of books geared toward kids.
- On her desk is a framed family picture of Ethan, Karynn, and Matthew, taken on one of their vacations while she had been teaching on Earth. Next to it is a small holo-projection of Ethan
- On the wall behind her desk, she has mounted a small shelf. On it are miniatures (smaller than those in her quarters) of ships she's served on: an Akira class ship, a Prometheus class ship, a Miranda class ship, and now a Horizon class ship.
- Has a tendency, when she's thinking, to pull loose hair or ponytail over in front of face (so it kind of looks like she's "sniffing" her hair)
- She also has a tendency to play with a lock or two of hair, twisting it about her finger.
- When she gets excited, speaks animatedly with generous use of her hands
Karynn does not have a specific religion. She believes in some higher power, but has not really decided what that means for her. She has picked up spiritual practices from many different cultures, including many forms of prayer and meditation. She is particularly fond of Vulcan meditation practices.
Hobbies and Pastimes
- Plays and composes for the piano.
- Plays the flute and flute-like instruments
- Reading. She especially enjoys reading Vulcan literature in Vulcan.
- Playing Poker - a habit she picked up from Ethan Brice and Danny Wilde.
- Dancing - she was taught by Danny Wilde and now has a holoprogram designed by him to continue her lessons.
- Achievements in Life:
- Disappointments in Life:
- Her first major disappointment was failing the Academy Entrance Exam the first time around (due to low marks in history). She has since overcome this disappointment and actually learned to enjoy history enough to get a specialization in it.
- Karynn struggled through the Engineering classes at the Academy. While she passed, she required much tutoring to do so.
- On an away mission during the training cruise of the USS Centris, Karynn attempted to open a locked door at the request of her team members. Unexpectedly and embarassingly, a second door slid down over the first, making it even harder to get through the desired doorway.
Generally peaceful and gentle - but with a sharp side if you cross her.
Mental problems (complexes and phobias)
- In the past, Karynn has felt overwhelmed with her job as a counselor. She has often felt inadequately prepared to help the crew through dealing with recent deaths, particularly because she has not finished her counseling degree.
- She is currently dealing with the loss of both her home, the USS Independence-A and several months of her life while she was in a medically-induced coma.
- She has struggled with the weight of command, most recently when she was First Officer on the USS Independence-A
She is on the shorter side, so she may ask for help in reaching items that are high.
Stepmother to Matthew Brice
Father: Kolen Ehlanii - structural engineer, employed by the city of Larysta.
Kolen is 5'8" with dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. He is often described as a "jolly" person, with a ready smile for anyone who passes. He is often found laughing and telling jokes. He was born on stardate 233302.16, and attended the University of Krysenti, where he recieved a BS in Structural Engineering. He met Maryasta while working as a consultant on the Larysta Orchestral Hall.
Mother: Maryasta Ehlanii - Professional Musician in the Larysta Symphony Orchestra
Maryasta is 5'4 with light brown hair and deep green eyes. She has a quiet persona, but usually comes across as pleasant and slightly shy. She comes alive, however, when she plays any musical instrument. While she plays the Haliian equivalent of a violin in the Larysta Symphony Orchestra, she is also quite good at the piano and the Haliian Flute. She is proficient at a number of other woodwind, keyboard, and string instruments, although she has rarely picked up any brass instruments. She is responsible for the Ehlanii family rule requiring music lessons for all the children up through High School. Because of her efforts, Karynn and both her siblings are both proficient at musical instruments and music lovers.
2 - Karynn is the oldest
- Lynette (b. 236207.15) - Graduated from the University of Krysenti with a Doctorate in Xenobiology. As part of her training, she did a 6-month research study of the mammal-like Hellim, a small native of the Jrysia Jungle in the southern hemisphere of Halii. She has since begun teaching at the University of Krysenti, although she typically spends at least 3 months of the year doing an on-site study of an animal. She is currently seriously dating.
- Kole (b. 236509.14) - Also a graduate of the University of Krysenti with a Bachelor's degree in Sociology, Kole has moved on to pursuing a law degree and has nearly completed it.
Karynn has a healthy relationship with her family. While she and her siblings had a normal sibling relationship, complete with the typical fights, she is very close to her sister Lynette, who Karynn sees as one of her very best friends.
Karynn grew up in a loving family on the planet Halii where she was born. Her love of the hard sciences was cemented by her grandparents when she was 3 years old, with the gift of her very first chemistry book and chemistry set. She generally did well in school and was awarded both in High School and College for her work in the sciences. Karynn is the first in her family to join Starfleet, a decision she was prompted to make after hearing a prominent Starfleet Scientist speak. She failed her first attempt to enter Starfleet Academy with poor marks on the History portion of the entrance exam. This failure prompted her to study and work to excel at History. After a semester at the University, she joined the preparatory program and was later accepted into the Academy. She began pursuing a degree in the sciences and had nearly completed that degree when, in her 4th year, she developed an interest in counseling. She finished her degree in the sciences and took a fifth year at the academy to begin her counseling degree, which she completed while stationed on the Independence-A.
- 235704.08: Karynn is born to parents Maryasta & Kolen in Larysta, a medium-sized city on the planet Halii
- 236004.08: Karynn's grandparents, Lynelle and Nortol, give her her very first chemistry book and set. She falls in love with the hard sciences.
- 237505.20: Near the end of her final year of High School, Karynn is presented with North Larysta High School's Science Award, for exemplary work in the sciences during her High School Career (among other things, she was chair of the Chemistry Club, took classes as electives in Haliian biology, Chemistry, Physiology, and Physics).
- 237509.04: Karynn begins a 2 year program of study in Science at the University of Krysenti, on Hali.
- 237510.03: Karynn meets Jaryl Tryska and the two rapidly become quite close. Within a month they begin dating exclusively.
- 237603.16: Karynn meets famed Chemist/Biologist Zolaryn Shennai at a seminar at the University of Krysenti. He talks about his experiences working in Starfleet. Karynn realizes that this is what she has been looking for and begins to research Starfleet and opportunities within Starfleet.
- 237701.15: Karynn applies to Starfleet Academy.
- 237704.20: Karynn takes Academy entrance exam and fails the History portion of the exam and therefore is denied acceptance into Starfleet Academy. Karynn begins to make plans to spend a semester taking classes, primarily in History, from the University of Krysenti.
- 237708.20: As a result of Karynn's decision to pursue Starfleet, which had already caused significant conflict between her and Jaryl, she realizes that she ought to enroll in the Starfleet Academy Preparatory program. Their frequent fights escalate unto one massive fight the night she tells him. Ultimately it becomes clear that she can't apply to Starfleet and continue to pursue a future with him. Although it causes her great pain, she breaks off their relationship.
- 237801.05: Karynn travels to Cestus III to begin the Starfleet Academy Preparatory Program.
- 237804.13: Karynn sits for the Academy Entrance Exam. This time, she passes all the parts, including the psych evaluation. Following the testing period, she receives the news that she has been accepted to the Starbase 118 campus of Starfleet Academy.
Karynn developed two notable friendships while she was at Starfleet Academy, both with roommates. The first was with Catherine Bell, her roommate for the first two years. Catherine introduced Karynn to several Terran activities including whitewater rafting (on the holodeck), some Terran foods, and some Terran religious practices, especially those of Catherine's own Catholic faith. While Karynn didn't embrace the entire faith, she did pick up several of Catherine's prayer practices, including the use of prayer beads and candles. Karynn was sad when Catherine returned to Earth, but the two have stayed in touch. When Catherine left, Karynn's new roommate was Jenn Iyer. Jenn's most significant impact was on Karynn's change in career directions. In Karynn's fourth year at the Academy, Jenn developed a severe episode of depression. Karynn was impressed by the impact the Academy Counselors had on Jenn's life and realized the influence counselors could use to help others. Following this experience, Karynn stayed on at the Academy an extra year to begin working on her counseling degree.
- Ethan Brice - Ethan and Karynn met at the impromptu wedding of Ben Walker and Ro Adair in Twilight's Edge on DS17. After the wedding they slipped off to have a quiet chat on the Nature Deck of the station, which evolved into a game of Tag ("Mitz" in Haliian). Due to the schemings of Sarah Reed, they were set up on an impromptu date the next night. This was followed by a romantic evening on a holodeck recreation of Paris. Their budding relationship prompted a confrontation between (then) Lt.Commander Ben Walker and Karynn. Although their duties often keep them both busy, they work to set aside time that they can spend together, both alone and with Matthew. On Stardate 238610.01, Ethan proposed marriage to Karynn, in a turbolift, and she accepted. They were married on Stardate 238803.14 at Twilight's Edge on Deep Space 17.
- Matthew Brice - Although she saw Matthew on occasion while serving on the Ronin, her most consistent interaction with him has been since he came to stay with his father temporarily on the Independence-A. They have quickly warmed to each other, and both enjoy the time they spend going to the zoo, playing, and telling stories. With her marriage to Ethan Brice on 238803.14 she became Matthew's step mother. He calls her Kolla, the Haliian word for mother.
- Other Important Relationships
For more information on these, see Personal Relationships
- Date of Entry into Starfleet Academy: Stardate 237806.01
- Date of Graduation: Stardate 238410.02
- Major: Science (Specialization: Chemistry)
- Additional Specializations: Xenobiology, History
Academy Registrar Note: Ms. Ehlanii developed an interest in counseling near the middle of her fourth year at the Academy. She remained in classes an extra year to begin working on a degree in counseling before going on her Training Cruise in her sixth year at the academy. She completed the remainder of her courses post-graduation and was awarded a degree in Counseling in 2387.
- Current Rank: Commander
- Current Assignment: Starfleet Academy, Starbase 118
- Duty Post: Junior Professor
Awards & Commendations
Awards and Commendations Display Case
|Award||Date Received||Location Received||Description|
|Science Award||237505.20||North Larysta High School||For exemplary work in the sciences during high school|
|Jeelian Fayrel Outstanding Chemist Award||237705.16||University of Krysenti||For research in the synthesis of Aminodipolythirate.|
|Holaria Jhentsia Historical Accuracy Award||227712.14||University of Krysenti
Department of History
|For a contest-winning paper on the role of Jonathan Archer in the genesis of the United Federation of Planets.|
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
- SD 238608.28: Subarachnoid Hematoma
- SD 2387.01.01: Assasination attempt; anticoagulated blood, kidney failure
- SD 238809.15-238903.25: Tarkalean Flu
- SD 239103.16: Phosphino-Titenozine contamination