Difference between revisions of "Featured Bio Contest Minimum Selection Criteria"
(correcting category due to update. Somehow missed this last time, apologies.)
m (Rich moved page Featured Bio Contest Judging Criteria to Featured Bio Contest Minimum Selection Criteria over redirect: Minimum Selection criteria reinstated by new facilitator LtCmdr Jorey)
Latest revision as of 03:58, 7 July 2016
|Featured Bio Contest|
This Month's Winner
|Edit this Nav|
All articles nominated for consideration in the Featured Bio Contest are judged using the contest's Judging Criteria as a guide. The winning bio does not need to meet all aspects of the criteria, but past winners tend to exhibit these elements.
The purpose of giving you this list of items isn't to stifle your creativity with your articles. In deciding just what should be considered the ideal for this contest, all ship/station rosters were surveyed to see how different members have chosen to present their characters. The following list represents some of the common elements noted across the board, yet the end result can and is often quite different and individual. For instance, consider the following three articles:
Each of these articles includes the elements listed in the criteria yet each showcases the character in a distinct fashion. If anything, we hope the criteria may perhaps inspire you and other members to expand your articles in a way that will let any reader learn more about your characters and the adventures that they have had during their time in our fleet.
Inquiries about the criteria may be posted in this thread in the contest's forum.
-Featured Bio Contest Team
Judging Criteria for Featured Articles
The ideal featured bio...
- Must be of a player character played by a current and active member.
- Must be either a primary or secondary player character. PNPCs are ineligible.
- Includes information about the character that is current as of the submission date.
- Includes both a link to the character’s current ship in the first sentence of the article and a template box with the current ship’s roster at the bottom of the article.
- Includes an appearance section.
- Includes a relationships section with a link to at least one different simmer’s player character.
- Includes some description of the character’s background, personality, or career history.
- Includes a full professional history of the character, showing rank progression, previous duty posts, and previous assignments.
- Includes an awards section showing any awards or service ribbons the character has received if applicable. This section should also include links to the “List of Awards” and “Service Ribbons” articles. The links may be incorporated into the section heading, as part of a table subheading, or listed separately.
- Includes links to at least two (2) selected sims written from the character’s perspective.
- Is properly categorized into at least the following five categories:
Detailed Explanation of Criteria
1. Must be of a player character played by a current and active member.
- Although there are many articles created by inactive or retired members that are worthy of being featured, we should showcase the work of our current members in the interest of fostering community spirit.
2. Must be either a primary or secondary player character. PNPCs are ineligible.
- Likewise, while some members have created articles for their PNPCs that are just as complete as those made for their PCs, we wish to showcase only the player characters our members use in their simming to both encourage other members and inspire those who may wish to join.
3. Includes information about the character that is current as of the submission date.
4. Includes both a link to the character’s current ship in the first sentence of the article and a template box with the current ship’s roster at the bottom of the article.
5. Includes an appearance section.
- While many of our members create images of their characters, we understand if others cannot or do not wish to do so. However, the article still must include information on the character’s appearance. The simmer may decide how much information they wish to include, but they must include at least one description such as height.
6. Includes a relationships section with a link to at least one different simmer’s player character.
- Again, the purpose of this project is to feature our members and our community, encouraging both current and prospective members to learn more about our group. One of the best ways to do this is to encourage them to explore the SB118 Wiki itself.
- A relationships section that includes information about friendships or romances should include at least one link to a different simmer’s primary/secondary player character (again, not a PNPC).
- The linked character’s article does not need to meet the featured article criteria.
7. Includes some description of the character’s background, personality, or career history.
- Of course, we don’t want featured articles to just be a list of facts and awards. There should be some written description of either the character’s backstory or time since they’ve been in the SB118 fleet.
- Ideally, readers should be able to get just from reading the descriptive text a sense of what kind of person the character is and what kind of adventures and missions he or she has had since joining SB118. The tables or chronological listing of past assignments in the professional history should be used more as a supplement to the text.
- Again, we want to inspire existing members who might be looking for new ideas in their own plots, and we want to let prospective members know what kind of adventures they could be having as well! Descriptive text also helps maintain a history of our group.
8. Includes a full professional history of the character, showing rank progression, previous duty posts, and previous assignments.
- Showing the professional history of the character shows both other members and prospective members how each of our simmers started at ensign and worked their way up to their current rank.
- Note, while this is the reasoning to include this criterion, the professional history does not necessarily have to match the actual professional history of the simmer in the event that the featured article character is a secondary or a replacement primary character. A “fictional” professional history leading to their first SB118 ship/station is acceptable.
9. Includes an awards section showing any awards or service ribbons the character has received if applicable. This section should also include links to the “List of Awards” and “Service Ribbons” articles. The links may be incorporated into the section heading, as part of a table subheading, or listed separately.
- Our Fleet Awards are a proud tradition to recognize our members. Including this section should encourage more members to learn about the awards and nominate their fellow members for consideration when the annual awards ceremony approaches.
10. Includes links to at least two (2) selected sims written from the character’s perspective.
- Links to selected sims from the character’s perspective may either by listed within the descriptive text or listed in either a subsection of the character history or a separate section entirely.
11. Is properly categorized into at least the following five categories:
- Affiliation (e.g., Starfleet personnel, Civilians)
- Ship/Station PCs (e.g., Avandar PCs)
- Profession (e.g., HCO Officers, Scientists)
- Species (e.g., Vulcans, Caitians)
- Categories are an integral part of the organizational structure of the wiki and help users navigate the wiki to find related pages.
- In addition to the five categories above, there are other categories that may be appropriate for a character that can be added at the member's discretion (e.g., Ronin Alumni, GLBT Characters).
Quick Checklist of the Criteria
Thinking of nominating an article? Check to see that it is up to date and if it isn't your own article, make sure it is of a current member through the Fleet Roster. Then ideally, see if it includes the following:
If so, then nominate it for the current round in the contest's forum!