|This article has no categories.
|Edit this page to include a category relevant to the content of the article to help improve it.
Commander Etas Dabin is a 36 year old Betazoid currently serving as the chief engineer aboard the USS Chin'toka.
Etas has a reputation for being a brilliant engineer, but also for being difficult to work with. While his previous commanders have few complaints about his work, his tenure's on various vessels have been short lived. Nevertheless, he has served in high-level engineering roles on various starships since 2390, only five years after graduating from Starfleet Academy.
At an early age, Etas was subjected to horrific experiments that permanently damaged his telepathic abilities. Although these abilities are technically still present, they are so sensitive that any input blends into a single block of "noise" that is typically too dense to provide any useful information and extremely painful to experience. He's likened it to listening to one hundred different symphonies at once and trying to identify specific notes and phrases from a single instrument. After extensive rehabilitation, he has developed a psychic block that allows him to shut out his telepathic senses. With concentration, he can push through this barrier and attempt to use his abilities, but he avoids this whenever possible.
Etas is of average height, with a lean but athletic build. He has long, dark brown hair (usually tied back to ensure it stays out of his way while working, and to meet Starfleet uniform code). He has black eyes, typical of a Betazoid, and pronounced cheekbones. He frequently wears a short, well-groomed beard and mustache.
- Height: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
- Weight: 140 lbs (63.5 kg)
- Hair Color: dark brown
- Eye Color: black
- Voice: upper-range baritone, faint Betazoid accent
- Handedness: Left-dominant, but near-ambidextrous
- Quarters: USS Chin'toka, Deck 5, Starboard - Cabin 05-02A
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Four Deities and the Great Fire (mostly cultural)
- Hobbies and Pastimes: Trade Crafting, Reading, Drawing and other arts
- Likes: Machines (especially engines), privacy, work, self-motivation
- Dislikes: Casual social interaction
- Ambitions and Goals: To overcome his telepathic disability
- Achievements in Life: Graduating from the Academy, reaching rank of Commander at a relatively young age
- Disappointments in Life: His inability to recover from the damage done to him by Dominion experimentation when he was a child
- Temperament: Reserved, quiet, ornery, professional, no-nonsense, occasional lack of tact
- Mental problems (complexes and phobias): mild phobia of medical facilities lingering from childhood
- Etas was born on Betazed to a minor noble family of the 10th House. He had a fairly average childhood until 2374, when Betazed was annexed by the Dominion. During the four months that the planet was occupied, Etas and his family were captured and taken away from the planet. Etas never saw his family again. Until the program was officially ended with the final treaty of the war, the young Betazoid was subjected to horrific experiments designed to better understand his species' telepathic abilities. When he was finally returned to the Federation in 2376, the biological capability to regulate his telepathic abilities had been stripped away and medical attempts to restore it failed. The end result is that Etas is unable to use his abilities in any effective way - he can 'hear' thoughts of others, but he has no ability to filter or control that input. Similarly, he can broadcast his thoughts, but he has no ability properly filter those thoughts, and the intensity of them can be overwhelming.
Timeline of Personal Events
- 236304.04: Born on Betazed.
- 2374006.02: Captured by the Dominion
- 237609.07: Returned to Federation under final peace treaty with the Dominion and Cardassia.
- Date Graduated from Academy: 238506.03
- Current Rank: Commander
- Current Assignment: Chief Engineer
- Duty Post: USS Chin'toka