Embassy of Duronis II/Marine Facilities
The Starfleet Marines assigned to the Embassy on Duronis II and to the USS Thunder belong to the Kilo Company of the Starfleet Marine Corps' 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment nicknamed "The Cutting Edge". Kilo Company is divided into two platoons. First Platoon is primarily assigned to protect the Embassy, and when directed, First Platoon will protect VIPs who leave the Embassy grounds. Second Platoon is primarily assigned to duties on the USS Thunder and to supplement First Platoon when necessary. The Security Department is responsible for the protection of the interior of the Embassy and its occupants as well as the protection of the interior of the USS Thunder and its occupants.
First Platoon is housed at the rear of the Embassy in facilities known as the Marine Complex, located on Embassy grounds. A single access point from the Embassy to the corridors of the Marine Complex is available for command level entry and for rapid deployment into the Embassy if needed. Regular access to the Marine Complex is made through the entrance that faces the eastern ocean.
The Marine complex hosts multiple training facilities and armament lockers, available to Starfleet Marines.
- Squad Leaders' Office: The Marine Squad Leaders' Office is located inside of the Marine Complex attached to the Embassy. The office is separated by partitions for the six desks for the squad leaders.
- Command Information Center (CIC): The Command Information Center (CIC) is located inside of the Marine Complex and is the central location for coordination of all Marine activity on Duronis II. Several continuously manned consoles are located in front of numerous viewscreens that display visual and sensory data relative to Embassy perimeter security, any vessels in orbit of the planet, Marine squad activity, and planetary news organizations. The CIC is also utilized for Marine flight operations on Duronis II.
- Marine Briefing Room: The Marine Briefing Room in the Marine Complex allows the Marine commanding officers to meet to discuss intelligence reports, current Marine operations, and any other Marine activities.
- Armory: The Marine Armory is located at the center of the Marine Complex and contains all Marine equipment not currently in use. More information about Marine Equipment can be found here.
- Marine Brigs: The Marine Complex contains three brigs to hold any prisoners to be guarded by Kilo Company.
- Holodeck Training Rooms: The Marine Complex contains two Holodeck Training Rooms on opposite ends of the complex. These holodecks allow Marines to train for variable conditions involved in ground and space combat exercises.
- Marine Transporter Room: The Marine Complex contains one Transporter Room that is continuously monitored.
- Barracks: The Barracks are the communal living area for the Marines. It is the area of the Marine Complex that is designed to house the Marines in one location as dictated by military guidelines. The Marine Barracks are equipped with the minimum comfort that Starfleet must provide, and these minimum comforts include a bunk, an LCARS coded locker and footlocker as well as a communal bathroom to be shared between squadrons. This might seem sparse compared to the luxury given to Starfleet officers, but it is by and large the only comforts needed by Marines.
- Officer's Quarters: The Marine CO's quarters are inside of the Embassy while the other Marine officers' quarters are within the Marine Complex. Starfleet Marine personnel from the rank of 2nd Lieutenant up to Lieutenant Colonel are given one set of Officer's Quarters to themselves in an effort to provide a private environment to perform off-duty work. These accommodations typically include a small bathroom, a bedroom with a standard bed, a living/work area, a food replicator, an ultrasonic shower, and a personal holographic viewer.
After working twelve-hour shifts, a Marine's main requirement is downtime to relax and eat their meals. The Marine Complex's Mess Hall is a vital part of Marine life as it highlights the unit's need to live and work together in every aspect. It is expected of the Marines to eat at least three meals a day for strength and nutrients, which includes a diet designed for optimum efficiency by the Starfleet Medical Corps.
Marine K9 Unit
The Embassy of Duronis II makes use of a small but talented K9 unit.