- Full Name: Doctor Dian Iskandar (NOTE: Javanese names do not normally include surnames and 'Iskandar' is Dian's 'nom de Starfleet', derived from his adoptive father's name. His name is still legally, only 'Dian')
- Nicknames: D, Isky, Doctor D (only by those wishing to taunt him)
- Current Rank: Ensign
- Ship Serving: USS Excalibur-A
- Race: Trill
- Date of Birth: 235808.15
- Place of Birth: Trill (Trillius Prime)
- Hometown: City of Semarang, Central Java
- Gender: Male
- Telepathic status: And just who is asking?
- Height: 6'2
- Weight: 190 LBS
- Hair Color: Blonde-Brown
- Eye Color: Blue-Green
- Facial Features: Chiseled and extremely goodlooking (and he knows it)
- Skin Tone: Fair/Lightly Tanned
- Build: Lean
- Tattoos: Maybe...
- Scars: A few, mostly to show off. He has a few minor scars from various brawls or incidents that have suitably impressive stories behind them, and one on his leg when he 'ran with scissors as a child', though it is unclear if he is joking.
- Handedness: Right
- Civilian Clothing Taste: Whatever is most flattering to his physique. Dian dresses just a little too well off duty...
- Shoes: Sneakers/running shoes, he's athletic and likes to be prepared.
- Voice: Easy going, you can definitely tell he was raised in the sun, out on the beach.
- Physical Presence: Imposing, with a certain swagger. He's need to dramatically show off has now seeped into the way he carries himself.
Personality and Other Details
- Personality Type: Casual, easy going, utterly charming and flirtatious.
- Humor: Dian always has a joke when needed. Indeed, his life would seem to be made of them.
- Likes: Being casual, not doing work, socializing with handsome men.
- Dislikes: Work, effort.
- Strengths: Intelligence and talent in spades, not that he uses it other to impress people and show off.
- Weaknesses: I think you can get the picture
- Hobbies: Exercising, having fun, making the most out of life.
- Religion: Dian was raised Muslim, though like most Javanese, he is moderate in his beliefs and is arguably no longer practicing, though he carries the culture around with him. He does not drink and does not eat pork, and observes Ramadan and other Javanese equivalents.
Dian likes his freedom, he's witty, sarcastic, and out for a profit with minimal effort, which is really just what Starfleet and being a Doctor are all about to him. If he's not getting something out of it, why bother? Unethical and unprofessional, most everything is a joke to Dian, and nothing is ever taken seriously. Despite his lack of professionalism and casual nature, Dian is a very skilled physician, but doesn't like pressure being put upon him. While Dian prefers the challenges of the Lab to a Sickbay, he likes saving lives, though mostly because he looks good doing it and being on the front lines gets him closer to the action and excitement. Dian prefers medical research, which gives him plenty of accolades to tack on his wall, with very few work hours put in, leaving him time to pursue life to the fullest, on his own terms.
- Languages: Dian speaks fluent Javanese, Indonesian, Dutch, Federation Standard and has an advanced knowledge of Sundanese and a basic understanding of Balinese. He can also understand French to a certain degree.
- Quarters: Dian's quarters are his own personal, traveling slice of Java. All of the fabrics found in his quarters are white, all of the furniture wooden or bamboo, and various artworks, mostly Indonesian though some reproductions of work done by European artists from the colonial period can be found. There are also various Indonesian cultural knickknacks, along with the only thing Trill that Dian owns, a poem written in Trill script on a piece of cloth. Unlike so many of the items around his quarters, Dian won't explain the story behind it.
- Workspace: While it is debatable about how much 'work' gets done, Dian works out of Medical Lab One. It is surprisingly tidy, almost unlived in. Which is not so much cleanliness on anyone's part, but Dian's lack of work within the space.
- Bachelor's of Science: Biology: Starfleet Academy, San Francisco
- Medical Doctorate: Diponegoro University, Semarang
- Doctor of Philosophy: Biomedicine (Specialty: Medical Physics): University of Indonesia, Jakarta
- Post-Graduate Work: Emergency Medicine: Starfleet Medical Academy, San Francisco
- Favorite Things:
- Food: Dian almost exclusively eats Indonesian and Javanese food, especially the different varieties and ways of cooking Tempeh. He claims to have survived on Tempeh alone during the Academy, and considering the many, many ways he can prepare it in a very short amount of time, it just might be true.
- Music: Dian likes energetic music; rock, dance, pop, anything that keeps him moving.
- Sports: Sports are a natural outlet for Dian's insatiable need to show off, and he plays many. Captain of his velocity team at the Academy, striker on his childhood sepak bola (Soccer/Football) teams, and hooker on his adult rugby teams, Dian is naturally athletic and keeps in shape by running, not on the holo-deck but around the ship.
- Place: Dian has a lot of pride in his hometown of Semarang
- Books: Max Havelaar, The Tea Lords, Old Times, all part of the Dutch Indies Canon, Dian was introduced to the books by his maternal grandfather, who is Dutch-Indo, a Dutch person of distant Indonesian descent.
Dian Iskandar was born on the planet Trill, on the 15th of August, 2358. He never knew his parents and was given up for adoption immediately after his birth. When he was 8 months old, he was adopted by a pair of civil engineers from Indonesia on Earth (specifically the island of Java). Dian moved with them to Earth, five months later, just in time for his first birthday, which he spent with his new, very large, extended Javanese family located in the city of Semarang.
Dian spent the entirety of his childhood on the island of Java, mostly in the city of Semarang, though he lived in Jakarta for a year with his grandparents while his parents were away doing colony construction. Baring the odd trip to Bali, Dian did not leave the island of Java until he was fifteen years old. Dian's childhood was a happy one and his adopted parents never treated him as anything less than their own child, as did his family. While his features were quite different from his Human-Javanese parents, Dian rarely felt out of place as an alien on a Human world, and while he doesn't consider himself human, he does consider himself culturally Javanese, even if his features are strikingly Trill.
When Dian was selected for a summer program for talented youth, the near insufferably charming and arrogant Dian everybody loves really emerged there, where he found out that he was well suited to the roll of class clown, but with a more sophisticated edge. His remarkable intelligence and ability, were also given the first chance to breathe there, and while it became obvious that Dian was little more than interested in coasting through life, doing 'simple' work faster than everyone else, when given the chance to show off his talents, he readily did so. Returning home with various laurels and glowing recommendations from the program directors (who were more than willing to overlook his lack of effort), Dian was, more than ever, the apple of his parents' eyes.
While in his last year of school, Dian was approached by a Starfleet recruiter, who gave him an apparently very influential talk about how great Starfleet was and what Dian could do with his life. Dian promptly applied to Starfleet Academy along with several other prestigious institutions on Earth. During the Academy entrance exams, Dian outperformed everyone in his group, his scores were off the charts and he knew exactly what to say in the psych exam. Dian was accepted into the Academy as a member of the class of 2380.
Dian grew up in a very diverse, and very large, Javanese family, though he was hardly the only one not native to Java. His adoptive paternal grandmother is ethnically Berber, his maternal grandfather is of Dutch descent and his paternal aunt is also adopted, coming from Sweden. Being in such a diverse family, Dian never felt out of place considering he looked nothing like any of the others in his adopted family, and never felt alienated as a result. It is for this reason that while he is of course Trill, he is culturally Javanese, above all else.
Awards & Commendations
Notes, Secrets and Spoilers
- Dian is aware of who is birth mother is, but has no desire to contact her, and believes he has deduced the reason why he was given up for adoption.
|NPC Listing · USS Excalibur-A Crew Manifest · Crew History