|Position||Head of Infrastructure Development|
|Birthplace||Tropics of Aurelia|
Lieutenant Dekas is currently serving as Head of Infrastructure Development on Denali Station
(He was an Engineer aboard the USS Juneau before the move to the station, and still does Engineering as part of his job.)
- Full name: Dekas
- (Name's meaning: "Fire that Ignites the soul" or "Ardent Passion".)
- (His given name is actually Daekas, pronounced as a 3-syllable "Day-eh-Koss". New people tripped up on it enough that he altered it to Dekas early on in his Starfleet career, and hasn't gone back. It's usually said like "Deh-koss", but he has introduced himself with "Day-koss" before and answers to that, too. His family has even made the easy switch to calling him Dekas, and now "Daekas" is used more like middle naming him to get this attention. Or with certain fond maternal tones if it's his mom.)
- Place of Birth: Tropics of Aurelia
- Gender: Male.
- Race: Aurelian
- DOB: 236911.22
- Telepathic Status: E0+ / T0
(He has a small degree of ESP, most Aurelians do as an adaptation to better their communication needs. He can't read minds, and he can't fully interpret emotions every time, but he does have an easier time of it than someone without ESP. It is at its most effective when he's emotionally balanced as the interpretation of the ESP intake is heavily intuition-based. It does make him aware of energy out of the norm on occasion. Such as the concept of ghosts or spirits. It also makes him very in tune with the nature around him. He can often tell if a plant is unhealthy even if it doesn't look it to anyone else.)
- Height: 6'4 (1.95m) If his head feathers are pointed all the way up, he seems to be about a foot taller than he is because his head feathers measure roughly 9-12 inches. But his feathers don't count toward his actual height exactly as feathers are more like hair growth comparatively, and he can rest them against his head a little bit to decrease height if he so chooses. They also fall out over time during molts and sometimes grow back shorter by an inch or two depending on the year. It gives him the appearance of much taller than he is, but it's not his base height.
- Weight: 146lbs (66.3kg)
- Wingspan: 17 feet (5.18m) when his wings are fully spread out. His wings are also sizable enough to reach down the majority of his back with the addition of long feathers. The top curve of his wings is a little above his shoulders when folded against his back.
- Feathers: In a word? Colorful.
- Eyes: Bright, icy blue.
- Build: Lithe. Svelte and elegant. Semi-athletic. He’s a lot stronger than he looks. But it's mostly lean muscle, so it makes any musculature more toned than big. Tall by humanoid standards. Depending on stress levels, and what's going on around him, he does put on a little extra weight in the belly and thigh areas sometimes, but it's rarely all that noticeable when he does, and it's quite flattering on him.
- Uniform (on duty): Basically the average uniform, but non-constricting on arms and wings, there are multiple style choices depending on his mood. He only binds his wings in EV suits and small spaces.
- Taste in clothing (off duty): Feminine, or non-conformist in some capacity. He does sometimes choose pants, but more often he prefers a skirt, usually short or mid-length. Rarely long. He normally puts a small pair of shorts underneath them for the sake of keeping everyone else comfortable with him. And sometimes it's cuter that way. His shirts also tend to be cropped higher. Colorwise: If he's choosing colors to complement, he goes into deep reds, purples, greens, blues, and reddish browns. But he also knows he wants to have a good time and isn't afraid of candy colors that might clash. Sometimes he even wears interesting patterns. It depends on his mood. There's always a means of keeping the wings freed, and that often entails an open back. This style choice has caused small amounts of confusion from some people due to a lack of comparison of his race. This doesn't bother him, he'll just shrug and correct it. Sometimes he'll even just shrug without correction, people figure it out eventually, and he's not necessarily overly attached to the masculine identity as a concept. The daily use of clothes in personal expression without practical use is something his Aurelian family finds odd and quirky. It is the closest thing he has to a guilty pleasure.
- Voice: Formal, but whimsical speech patterns. Peppy energy. His vocal range is a little higher, and when he's really excited there is a noticeable increase in the musical intonations. His accent is strange and pleasantly melodic. His singing voice has a large range. He can sing soft lullabies, or belt out music that sounds like a rock power ballad if he wants. And his singing voice is very beautiful, if odd, so it sounds actually pleasant when he does either one. Albeit, it might be shocking to hear him do a rock song if you haven't before because of who he is. But he can do it and enjoy it immensely. Good to note that his accent is fairly minor these days. It's still there to a degree, but enough people made comments about finding it hard to take him seriously that he practiced a more palatable accent. It's his default way of speaking now. If you get him drunk enough, however, his much thicker accent comes out almost full force, and he sounds a bit like he could break into a musical number at any point. It is a pleasant accent, but it is a bit silly if you're not used to it.
- Notable details: Everything about him. His appearance is vibrant and far from subtle. Once he starts talking he's even less subtle, if that's possible.
- Hobbies and Pastimes: Socializing, singing, whistling. Small Engineering projects. Languages. Reading (fiction and nonfiction, but is a particular fan of the romance and fantasy genres). Journaling through personal logs, and physical writing. Fantasy holodeck programs. Flirting.
- Likes: Helping people, learning new things, show-tunes and upbeat music, also punk and rock music, dancing, art, has a particular fondness for things that glow, flowers, bats, spiders, engineering. Hugs. Affection. When people give him lil cheek and face scritches and tell him his feathers are soft (he is liable to make contented little cooing sounds about it.) Head scritches (Dear god, have mercy on him he will melt if you get that far.) Friendship. Science. Animals. Men.
- Dislikes: Unkindness. Dishonesty. Cardassian architecture and interior design. (To be clear: He doesn't dislike Cardassian people, he's never met one, and generally gives them the benefit of the doubt. He just thinks their choices in architecture and decor make rooms feel hostile.) The Borg.
- Positive traits: Extremely kind, loving, honest, enthusiastic, compassionate, encouraging, nurturing, well-educated, curious, fun-loving, passionate, helpful, good listener, has a good sense of humor about him, healthy levels of gratitude, not afraid to ask for help for most things. Fairly confident
- Negative traits: Perfectionist, Can be a little too personal with people. Impulsive. Struggles with his own toxic positivity. He very easily can tell people to seek out professional help, but in recent months he has anxiety following his own advice. It's a process. He's also low-key insecure about being an Aurelian. He's surrounded by humanoids, and he's even seen more insectoids than avians. So he feels out of place. It's just that he would struggle to admit that.
- To do what he can to continue to deserve his Lieutenant promotion, and any promotion he may get in the future. Also to do his best at his job as Head of Infrastructure Development, work on his leadership skills. He'd like to feel like he's contributing as much as he can, helping people in whatever way he's able, and doing what he can to make any place he ends up better than he found it.
- His other goal is one of self-acceptance and Aurelian pride. This is something he's struggling with. Because he is trying to reintegrate traits that he masked, or pushed out of him to feel "normal." But what he didn't expect was that doing so unlocked a good number of the insecurities he ignored while building up that mask. It's something he has trouble admitting to himself let alone always knowing how to reconcile it. The trauma he's been pushing under the rug doesn't help. But the goal still exists. He wants to love himself again as he is, as he was, and as the person he's becoming.
- Temperament: Nurturing. Ferociously loving. Forgiving. Kind. Apologetic when applicable. He has a good sense of humor, and he is outrageously gentle and strives to embody the essence of unconditional love, and also to embody the simpler meaning of his name "Ardent Passion." So he loves people and things passionately. Whether someone accepts it as truth or not, you can guarantee that he will never lie about his feelings on the matter.
- Values: Love, compassion, gratitude, family/friendship, kindness, honesty, humor, generosity, and forgiveness. He does not expect everyone to share these values in the way he holds them, but he will always try to encompass those things and lead by example.
- Orientation: Short answer is “Gay/Queer" and “Polyamorous." The longer answer is that those things are still true, he is those things. But those things involve a lot of nuances in his own life that he’d explain if prompted, and open-mindedness about exceptions to them because he’s not strictly bound by any of his preferences just because the preferences exist.
- Spiritual views: He is a strong spiritual believer in The Great Pho'nix. A being he and most Aurelians consider a being made of warmth, passion, creation, and love in all She creates. He feels a strong connection to nature, the elements of air and fire, the sun, and the stars above. When he's feeling particularly spiritual he has two simple necklaces he might wear to show it. The first is one with a sunstone gem carved in the shape of the sun. He got it on Earth during the academy, made him feel connected to the Pho'nix even so far from Aurelia. But he also has a necklace with an Aurelian design carved into a piece of Au'rin crystal, an Aurelian crystal that refracts rainbow colors in sunlight. Similar to the sunstone in meaning, but more connected to the feeling of "home" as an aspect of the Pho'nix rather than just a general connection to Her.
- Known Languages: Fluent in: Tropical and Formal Aurelian dialects, plus two other Aurelian dialects, and of course Federation Standard. Conversational in: Three more flock dialects, and Vulcan. Has very basic beginner's understanding of: Klingon.
- Vocal tics: Prone to making clicking sounds. The clicks increase when he can't remember a word in the language he's speaking. He loves the word "Marvelous!" And says it often. A lot of his sentences have the filler sound, "ah" in the middle of them. And it's pretty common for him to end a sentence with a friendly, "no?" or "yes?" depending on the sentence. His laughter is generally self-contained, involves more of a physical beak clicking or a soft-humored snort. Unless you can get him really drunk, or busting up in hysterics.
- Dekas specific traits:
- The aforementioned "Marvelous!" It's not always exclaimed, but often it is. He will say things are going marvelously. It is simply his favorite terran word. He finds it feels natural in his voice to say it, and it accurately expresses how he feels about so many things. Because he thinks so many things are simply marvelous!
- Dekas has the quirk of being in love with everyone. He's platonically and familially in love with his friends and family. Sometimes he falls in love with someone's energy, or a little bit in love with them. Sometimes those people are near strangers. He's a hopeless romantic. Most often, his romanticism will fade, but his love will not. He might have started with a feeling of romantic toward a person, but unless it's cultivated, it will likely fade to platonic. And still, the love remains. It will always remain. Perhaps on occasion, it is loving the idealized version of someone in his head. But it doesn't change that he loves them. And it won't make him stop loving them if they show beyond the ideal. So yes, in some capacity, if he cares for someone, he's also mildly in love with them. It is related to his Aurelian sensibility of being loving, but the way it presents in him is very much a Dekas thing. Because not every Aurelian is that strong about the love giving. He’s a special case.
- Tendencies to first name people. And introduce himself without his rank. As in he will say "I am Dekas." rather than "I am Lieutenant Dekas." And unless he's unsure of someone's preferences, they're the captain, or he considers a situation particularly formal, he will often switch back and forth between someone's rank and someone's preferred name because it personalizes people to him. He never wants to forget that above rank everyone is a person first.
- He's an extrovert who adopts introverts into his friend group with reckless abandon.
- Extremely restless when he has free time. If he doesn't have anything to actively do he has a tendency to pace around a lot. Holds a tension in his body that he doesn't really know what to do with sometimes, and has trouble acknowledging it lest he acknowledges why the tension is there. And while it is a slight bit better with the move to Denali Station, he still has a hard time staying asleep in his quarters at night. The pacing is very prevalent when he can't sleep. The room is a lot bigger than the one on Juneau, and significantly emptier until he can figure out how he'd like to decorate it.
- Because of his extremely loving and nurturing personality, sometimes he unintentionally says things that border on therapy thoughts. Aurelians are strangely good at that. But one of the reasons he chose not to follow a caretaker/healer role like that as he could have is because he's aware enough of his own specific traits to understand that he personally would risk getting a little too close to a situation. He has the kind intentions of a healer, but a heart that is possibly too tender to be one in the official senses. He's more than happy to be the very loving friend someone talks with to figure out they might need therapy. And he'll cheer them on in their therapy journey with an actual counselor!
- He's difficult to truly offend for any significant length of time. You could be outright mean to him and while it might hurt, or he might need some space to deal with his emotions, he's so forgiving and willing to give people the benefit of the doubt that he often tries to take such things more as constructive criticisms rather than insults. Sometimes he'll take it as something that he can agree to disagree on. He also has a sense of humor so if it's an insensitive thing, he can find a way to correct it or laugh it off. He might not always fully enjoy someone if they're toxic to him, but trying to get him to actively dislike them is almost guaranteed to fail on impact. Callous, icy exteriors, are no match for his super cheery sunshine personality. He's powerful. He might not convert anyone into a fan, but they also won't find him down on their level in any permanent way.
- He has accidentally found himself keeping up with various gossip around the station and knows random things. This is at least partially because, as the only Aurelian currently on the Station, he is in gossip circles to varying degrees. And he keeps up with some of it, but in the process also ends up hearing other things. So don't be surprised if he randomly mentions gossip. He's nosy.
- He takes secret delight in being the tallest of the senior staff. Because he is the shortest of his Aurelian family, and it's nice to feel tall sometimes.
- Aurelian traits:
- Respectfully bowing in greeting, or as a formal goodbye.
- Rambling about life, history, or interests for extended periods. Aurelians are taught to appreciate and reflect on history and passions and the history of passions sometimes. Their rite of passage is to recall and recite their entire family and flock history in extensive detail. It often takes many hours, up to a few days. So he can be chatty. On the plus side, he thinks people's idea of "long-winded" is child's play, so talk all you like, he enjoys it.
- Very in tune with nature and elements. He feels more at home in open spaces with fresh air and trees. He is especially fond of rainforests and tropical climates. (Being raised in a tropical rainforest on Aurelia does make him less inclined toward snow, though he's not opposed. He prefers rain, though, and thinks it is good luck.) He loves trees. And flowers. And knows a lot more than you'll originally think he will. But it's a part of life on Aurelia to know how to care for plants and the environment so he's quite aware of things. He has an insanely high ability to tell if a plant is unhealthy and get a feel for why and what it needs because of the way he grew up.
- Expletives/exclamations referencing fire, feathers, or the Pho'nix. Most common ones being, "Feathers / My Feathers", "Flame in the sky", and "Six flames." Or "For flame's sake/For Phoenix' sake!" if he's feeling uncharacteristically extra annoyed. Recently picked up the slightly more crass "pluck me" and "get plucked" versions. There are others, but those are the ones he uses the most. He does sometimes swear with terran swears, and sometimes feels like a solid F-bomb encompasses more feelings than most swears. But he tries to keep up a professional appearance and is minimal about that.
- He has a surprising appreciation for the typically creepy and macabre aspects of nature. He doesn't understand the fear of spiders, bugs, or reptiles, because tropical Aurelians keep absolutely huge tarantulas as pets where he's from among other unexpected pets like large bats that eat fruit, but don't always remember their own strength when taking the food from people. And they have sharp teeth, so it is painful sometimes. But he thinks those creatures are beautiful and baby talks to them as easily as he does the pets he's met over the years from other cultures. Various forms of taxidermy are present in various Aurelian decor as well, and he thinks those things are neat, too. Not that you would know that about him outright unless he told you.
- Sound mimicking. I do specify that it is sounds that he mimics and not voices. He might be able to mimic an Aurelian voice to jokingly talk like his siblings or his parents. But humanoid voices? At best he could imitate vocal tics, and alter vocal range to playfully impersonate them, but he can't really do full voice mimics. You will always know that it's him. You're more likely to find him making a perfect combadge chirp, or an accurate phaser sound. Various bird and animal noises that he thinks are fun. Sometimes he uses the sound mimic power to get up to playful, but harmless, avian mischief.
- Eye pinning. He can dilate and constrict his pupils at will. Usually a sign of excitement about something or someone he enjoys (platonic dynamics included). Can also signify anger. He doesn't do this one around humanoids as often as he does back home with other Aurelians who understand what it means in context. But if he does do the eye pinning around someone, or toward the warp core and someone happens to catch it, it's on purpose 95% of the times it happens. It's different than natural dilation or constriction with lighting, and it's easy to tell the difference because the pupil movement is a lot quicker if he's pinning. This is something he can do on command, he either makes for great fun at parties or weirds people out with it. On accident. It's not his fault if humanoids don't know it means he wants to be friends.
Dekas was raised in the tropics of Aurelia. He is the youngest of 13 children hatched by Zuka and Daf. It is a lot to live up to, but he's doing his best to make a name for himself in the universe.
Dekas is a clear byproduct of his planet's culture and that culture's lack of conflict with his people and other peoples. He's cautious, but he will give anyone the benefit of the doubt until he no longer can. He knows not every person or group has good intentions. A noticeable majority of the still missing Aurelians can be traced back to his flock and similarly unique flocks. (There is, after all, a reason that most Aurelians seen these days are of yellow or golden-toned feathers.) He sometimes wonders if they're still out there, or if their descendants are, and if they'll ever be found. But much like the rest of his people, he tries to move past it and not look at other races as people who'd do the same as the Orions.
He’s extremely friendly, and always willing to help. Family is important to him, so he tries to find family in the friends he has around him.
He was drawn to Starfleet from the moment he knew about it. And his interest in it only increased when he learned about Aurelia's well-renowned historian Loom Aleek-Om, who left and got the chance to experience the Guardian of Forever by doing so. He wanted to have his own once-in-a-lifetime experience. Despite that, he didn't instantly apply. He didn't know Federation Standard yet, and while he was learning that, he was also expanding his education in the fields of history and linguistic sciences, which is what he thought he'd go into. Even after he had a decent grasp on Standard speech, he felt inclined to at least finish the base education he'd already started and basically earned the equivalent of a Bachelor's degree in History and Linguistics on Aurelia. He had plenty of time to do so. When he applied, he was accepted easily into Starfleet Academy. But he was almost talked out of going during a fight with his sister Koori. In the end, he followed his intuition and his heart and chose to go. Most of his family encouraged this and were supportive. Curious. Excited for him. Koori was supportive enough to not fight him on it again, though she didn't say goodbye when he left. (As of current, their relationship is still a little distant. Better than when he initially left, and she saw him off the second time after his Leave of Absence. But it's not where it could be. They're still working on a new balance.)
Early in his time in the Academy, he got a little antsy taking the Science track courses knowing as much as he did already. Even the more advanced classes were becoming a little too easy. So he jokingly took more intensive Engineering and Ops classes beyond the base requirements, thinking it would be something he didn't do much with after the fact save for minor help on rare occasions. It took a total of two of those Engineering courses for him to realize he truly loved it. Enough to suddenly switch tracks entirely after a semester and a half in the science track without much of a second thought. Four years of prior education were put aside for it. He could be a scientist, he more than has the qualifications. He just prefers the Engineering side of it and would like to stay there. But he can uniquely offer input based on his prior qualifications that not every Engineer can offer.
He was initially assigned as an Engineer on the USS Juneau, then took an LOA for a few months, came back, and was again an Engineer on the Juneau.
The crew has since moved to Denali Station, where his role has shifted slightly to being Head of Infrastructure Development. It switched from Starship Engineering, to more of a civil Engineering job for the time being. But, like most people who are in the Engineering department, you can't take the engineer out of the person. So he is known to often help out in more direct Engineering spaces as well and considers himself close with some of the Engineers. Because he enjoys it. He's taking everything a day at a time. Finding his place.
- Behavior notes: From day one, Dekas was excellently well mannered and well researched. He is reported to have been an excellent student, exceedingly friendly and thoughtful. Respectful. Good humor about any social mishaps. And, as one of his teachers once said "Very good at remembering people. Like scarily good. I swear he knows the name of every member of the Academy, and at least one obscure detail about them. He could tell a clone apart if they stood next to their counterpart. I'm both scared and in awe. What have I said that he remembers that I don't? If not for his inability to lie I might have questioned why he didn't go into some part of the Intelligence track. Or maybe counseling. Really sweet guy, though."
- Grades: The lowest he ever got on anything was a B+, and that was only on things he really struggled to understand. He was all too willing to ask questions for clarifications and get help from classmates he knew understood something better to retain information with understanding. He could have graduated top of classes if he wanted. But it wasn't his priority to be at the top. He was also there to experience what a new place had to offer and to practice understanding and expressing humanoid social cues better.
- Majors, Minors, & Specializations: Majored in Engineering; Specializations in: Propulsion Systems & Components Engineering. Minored in the Programming specialization, and technically minored in the HCO career track. (The only thing that kept him from outright double-majoring in Engineering and HCO fields was his lack of interest in taking classes in advanced battle strategies. He essentially took all of the other classes required for the major. He can be considered something of an honorary double-major and can fill in at the HCO station when requested. Because save for a more intensive understanding of battle strategizing, he basically majored in HCO as well just for fun.)
- Misc. things:
- Started in the Science career track with the goal of specializations in History and Linguistics, had possible goals of extending it into linguistic xenoanthropology. He had roughly 4 years of extended education on those subjects back on Aurelia prior to joining Starfleet and thought he'd breeze through, learn new things for the slight extension into the xenoanthropology, and the things he was required to know outside of those things to graduate the academy, then take a lot of extra time getting a better understanding of humanoid social cues and culture. But after about a semester, he started getting mentally understimulated. He was learning new things, but not to the extent he would have liked. As some sort of in-joke with himself, he decided to take more intensive Engineering and Ops classes because he "might as well learn something new." It was an accident that ended up being his passion, and somewhat impulsive that he so quickly knew that he'd be happiest in the Engineering track since Aurelians aren't well known for being Starship Engineers. He still loves the sciences he has a degree in, but his passion for Engineering shockingly overpowered his desire to go into those sciences as a career for the time being. His family doesn't quite understand where it came from, but they are supportive of their sweet Engineering boy.
- He still took some of those extra science classes on the side, is still extremely qualified for a science role if he wanted one, and can happily talk with scientists. Especially about history, linguistics, linguistic xenoanthropology, and in turn related subjects like archeology, and a little bit of sociology due to their frequent overlaps. He doesn't get a whole lot of chances to talk about the fact he knows these things, and it would likely surprise his crewmates who don't know him well yet to know that he's uniquely educated in that way.
- Other courses he took for fun include: Multiple levels of Vulcan language classes, One level of Klingon Language, and a few other language classes for common Federation languages, and learns more about them in his free time when he's in the mood. He's taken various classes from the Material Engineering specialization in the vein of nanotechnology and sustainable energy. He's also taken a good number of psychology courses for the sake of curiosity and keeps up to date on basic first aid training because you never know when you'll need it in a crisis.
- Side details: He was in the academy for almost 6 years. He stayed in the academy an extra year and a half by request and of his own volition because he wanted to give a few extra things the old college try before being placed somewhere. That time was also the time he took the most opportunity for more in-depth social things since those intensive Engineering classes among a number of others took up the social time he planned in his brief stint in the science track. And he already knew he was good to go once he was ready.
- Overall review: "Smart, friendly, vibrant, kinda weird, but lovable... And definitely a huge nerd."
|Friends & Crewmates|
|Oddas Aria, Fleet Captain|
Captain Oddas is someone that Dekas deeply admires and respects. He strives to emulate her strength and leadership in his own ways and wishes to do well enough at his job on the station to make her proud. Dekas also considers her a friend. More than she realizes, most likely. He's very smart and does recognize why someone might label her as 'stand-offish'. But in his mind, it is less 'stand-offish' and more 'stoic and serious'. She is a Captain, and she's gone through a lot. Because of that, he understands the degree of separation from most officers. He takes into account the need for professionalism first and is always sure to follow it as one of the first means of interacting with her under regular circumstances. But not-so-deep-down he hopes to one day gain a level of bond with her that is both professional and simultaneously a genuine friendship from both sides. Not that he doesn't already act that way when given the opportunity, of course. His love for those he considers his friends is pure and unconditional. So as it stands, there is no condition that requires someone to feel the same level of friendship for him to already consider someone a good friend. The Captain included.
|Kalia Qinn, Station's XO|
Dekas implicitly trusts Commander Qinn due to her helping to save him from the horrific fate of becoming a Borg drone. She has also only ever shown him kindness. Given the value he places on kindness and compassion, he finds her to have a lot of both and has nothing but good things to say about her. He also spent some time with her and her daughter on Ring 42 during a Shore Leave camping trip and he finds the presence of a well-adjusted family comforting, so that's an extra set of brownie points for Qinn.
|John Kendrick, crewmate|
Dekas thinks that John Kendrick has absolutely marvelous vibes about him and would like nothing more than to gain his friendship as time goes on.
|Karise Indobri, CMO, friend|
He's run into Karise a few times and finds her very calming to speak with. Very understanding. Something she said at the beginning of a mission hit him as true; he doesn't need to be sick to say hello.
|Kiran Han, Former Marine Major, current Commander, friend, and someone to coax a smile out of|
There is a fondness there for Major Han that he's not sure how to describe. Prior to his assimilation crisis, it was simply that Major Han was someone he felt safe around and found pleasant to talk to. Things that are still true to now. But there was something about the surprising gentleness that he showed toward him while in the midst of his assimilation, that the fondness did increase. Even wearing literal Marine Armor, he risked himself before it was fully sure the anti-assimilation medicine would work completely. It's a different flavor of fondness than what he has for the medical staff about it, but just as strongly rooted. A personal goal for Dekas that came out of it is the desire to make the very serious Han smile around him at least once in a while. Really smile. He understands that the seriousness is as much a natural thing as it is something of an element to being a Marine. But he also wants to be someone that he can remove some of his metaphorical Marine armor for. Because Kiran Han is his friend. He wants him to feel like he can be Kiran Han, and not just Major Han all the time.
|Katrina Pelley, Nurse, Instant friend, someone special and worth knowing.|
Nurse Katrina Pelley was there when his assimilation happened, and there when she absolutely saved his life from that assimilation (alongside Doctor Vihn). He adores Nurse Pelley. He would help her with anything that she needed if she asked. He's also planning on giving her a massive, full-winged hug once he's healed. Because as much as the doctor helped as well, he wants her to be aware of how big of a role she played too, how deserving she is of his gratitude. And how amazing she is to him. He has trusted her with his life and would do so again in a heartbeat.
|Tomas Falt, Holodeck buddy, Chief Hug Officer, "Oh no, he's hot"|
His first real interaction with Tomas Falt was in a fantasy holodeck adventure where Tomas played a Barbarian called "Varg." And every single time Dekas has talked to him since, he's never failed to find him really attractive. He likes the sound of his accent. He thinks he's exciting and kind. He likes the science background, and the anthropology and subsequent appreciation for history as a result. He recently went on an away mission with him and respects his leadership. Dekas has a bit of a bird crush on him. Over time, it has fizzled into a more manageable crush than when it started. And mostly he'd like to be really good friends with him. But regardless, he does find Chief Science Officer Tomas Falt ridiculously hot. He'd think so even if the crush faded completely into loving, but platonic fondness. It's what it is. He's just really hot. Tomas drunk-hugged him during the Award's Ceremony where they were told they would officially be moving down to Ring 42 on Denali Station. Honestly. It made his heart soar, and it still kind of does when it crosses his mind. But he tries not to daydream too much about hugging him.
|Ashley Yael, Station's Counselor, new friend, so attractive, euf I've got the feelings, bro. love interest.|
He met Ashley Yael during the "Web Unbound" mission as they were on the same team. But he really became acquainted with him when they had a really good conversation (and a little cheeky flirt) in the Replimat during shore leave. They made plans to hang out, maybe skydive out of a shuttle eventually. However, during an Award's Ceremony, some feelings were solidified for Dekas after he got absolutely blitzed on alcohol and invited an equally drunk Yael up to his quarters for the night. Which Yael accepted. Dekas feelings solidified in the morning after while he was sober. He really likes Yael, he wants to get to know him and be good friends. And he enjoys the romantic side of it as well. He enjoys all of it. Still a little nervous about counseling, but he's working himself into that.
|T'Lea, Science officer, friend|
Originally Chief Science officer on the Juneau. He helped rescue her after she and Karise Indobri got kidnapped. Then properly got to know her better during the following Shore Leave in the aptly named "Mega-Deck" on The Spike where Dekas, T'Lea, and Engineer from the Grace Hopper Nyka Wyss, got stuck in a Western simulation that started to have thoughts. They sorted it out, thankfully. But he enjoys T'Lea's presence. He thinks she's fun and would like to get to know her better now that she's on Denali Station after an LOA.
|Sera, Close Friend, Fellow Engineer, trustworthy confidant|
Dekas officially met her when she showed up to an invited fantasy adventure in the holodeck where she played a ranger. He thinks she's funny and is very excited to get chances to interact with her more. He's never been deterred by the idea of Vulcan logic which she seems to exude a lot of. He values her opinions and input. He also thinks she's fun. After they moved to Denali Station they finally found the chance to bond, and with a very simple gesture of taking his hand when he felt vulnerable, Sera gained Dekas' trust in a way many people don't even try to gain. So regardless of what she thinks of him, he considers her a close friend and hopes to be even better friends with time.
|Kettick, Friend, and fellow Engineer|
Dekas thinks Kettick is a profoundly skilled engineer, and admires the work that he does. He trusts his input. He also thinks Kettick's sense of humor is marvelous. On top of that, he finds a certain kinship with Kettick seeing as they are both people who stand out as "different." It might be easier for Kettick in some ways, but neither of them would ever truly be able to pretend they were anyone else. He wants to learn more about him.
|Gwen Kingsley, CWO of the Marines on Denali Station, possibly the coolest person|
He's worked with her on two missions, including the one where he got assimilated. And he finds her skills and specializations so cool, and her demeanor even cooler. Dekas considers her a friend. He enjoys her presence. He doesn't know how he got to like so many Marines the way he does, but he does really like the Marines, and Gwen is absolutely one of his favorites and he wouldn't hesitate to say so.
|Zuka, Historian and Philosopher|
Dekas' Mother. As can be expected of Aurelians in general, he has an excellent relationship with his mother. She is someone he trusts deeply and wholeheartedly. She is one of his biggest supporters and one of the people who helped him the most during the few months he had to take a Leave of Absence, and during the height of his medical diagnosis around that time. She is supremely loving and forgiving, and an example to many. She's a well-known historian and philosopher in their flock and has many a time left Dekas awake just thinking. She is the more extroverted of his parents, and because of it, she is the leader of their family. She is laid back and sweet, but she is also a strong personality and does not take people's crap. She will call someone out if they're making excuses. Politely, but firmly. She is frequently the one who initiates things with others. She will also offer gentle guidance if someone needs help with a decision or a problem. As well as being very comforting when someone is struggling.
Dekas' Father. An equally excellent relationship with his father. Daf is a very shy, introverted man in comparison to his mother. But once you get to know him, or if you see him around his family or students, he's an extremely kind, laid-back person. He was the parent who was more likely to let little things slip under the radar. Always affectionate when someone needed comfort. Dekas does his best to emulate his father's patient compassion with new people and does also have the same habit of occasionally getting very fluffy feathered in the face when people compliment him or show him affection, as that was definitely a trait he inherited from Daf. (Note: You wouldn't necessarily think that Daf would be a perfect match for someone as confidently strong-willed as Zuka, but his parents are deeply in love with one another and constantly show it if they are in a room together. Besides... she pursued him first and thought the shy return of the feelings was extremely cute and still does. She is constantly doing everything she can to get the fluffy face reaction from him because of finding it adorable. It has never once stopped even after a little over 50 years of being bonded to one another. It works very well for them. After all, there is a reason they have 13 kids together.)
Dekas' Eldest sister. She was already an adult by the time Dekas was hatched, so while they do know each other well, and get along just fine, they aren't as close as they could be due to the 20 year age difference. But he does look up to her. Has two bondmates and three children, all of which are only 4 years younger than Dekas is.
One of Dekas' eldest sisters. She's Rha's twin. And in a similar way, he's not as close to her as he could be because of that same 20 year age difference. However, he's slightly closer to Ruri than to Rha. She jokes a little more often. He looks up to her. She has a bondmate and 4 children who are only about 7 years younger than him.
|Irik, Biology Professor|
Dekas' eldest brother. Their age difference is 16 years. Again not the closest relationship due to the gap, but they get along swimmingly. Irik likes to playfully rib Dekas for things as older brothers sometimes do. Dekas does his best to have good comebacks but isn't always successful. It's their form of friendship and they have fun with it.
One of Dekas' eldest brothers. He's Irik's twin. 16 year age difference. Keso liked to go out a lot while Dekas was growing up, so they don't have the closest relationship based on lack of frequent interaction, This has especially true since Keso found a bondmate, and started having Fledglings of his own. (He has six of them and they're roughly 12 years younger than Dekas.) But they do get along when they're in a room together.
|Sukki, Ecologist, and singer|
One of Dekas' older sisters. 13 year age difference. Dekas and Sukki can be known to spend a significant amount of time together when Dekas is on Aurelia. They are good friends and like making up little songs together. They fly together as well. He has very fond memories of that with her. She is currently unbonded, but has been a surrogate for same-gender bondmates before and is thrilled to give those Aurelians that joy. However, her day job is as a notable ecologist, and on the side, she also sings because she loves it.
One of Dekas' older sisters. She's one of the triplets along with Sukki, 13 year age difference. She was a lot like their father in her gentle compassion, and like their mother in her specific passion for history. He looks up to her in similar ways.
One of Dekas' older sisters. She's one of the triplets along with Sukki, and Mars, 13 year age difference. She was always a little quieter, but he enjoys spending those quiet moments with her. However, when she wasn't being quiet, she was the one daring him to do mischievous things here and there.
One of Dekas' older brothers. 11 year age difference. He likes to goof around with Gura, they have a good, very playful bond. He also enjoys listening to Gura talk about the science things he's been part of. He has a bondmate and two fledges.
One of Dekas' older sisters. She's Gura's twin. 11 year age difference. She and Gura were nearly inseparable growing up, so they both went into similar fields and often work closely together. As such, Dekas enjoys hearing her talk about her science career as well. Has a bondmate from a different flock of Aurelians with Blue and gold feathers, and one fledge called Zhia'Qi whose feather colors are significantly different from both parents with green, blue, and orange feathers from the mix. Dekas is quite fond of Zhia and finds he relates to the fact that people often double-take when they see her. She's his favorite niece.
One of Dekas' older sisters. Triplets with Koori and Ura. 5 year age difference to Dekas. They're decently close because of the closeness in ages, but he did have a clear preference for Koori, so it never reached that level. However, he loves Daffa dearly and thinks her music is awesome.
|Koori, Spiritual, and Intuitive Energy Healer|
One of Dekas' older sisters. Triplets with Daffa and Ura. 5 year age difference to Dekas. The sibling that Dekas feels closest to. When Dekas hit about 6 years old, and Koori was 11, they started realizing that both of them felt different from other Aurelians somehow. And they bonded through that. Koori was his confidant and best friend within the family. They did, however, have a distinct and unexpected point of disagreement. Dekas wanted to join Starfleet. Koori didn't think that it was right for him, worried that he'd become a self-fulfilling tragedy like his namesake. When he told her that he'd been accepted into the academy on Earth, they got into their first real fight. The disagreement didn't get solved before he left because the only way she was going to be happy with any of it was if Dekas stayed where it was safest, and the only way Dekas was going to be happy was if she'd just be happy with him. She didn't see him off when he left. For a while, this led to rather awkward communications over long distance since both of them considered it a conversation to have in person. They had a few chances to talk it out when Dekas took his Leave of Absence in mid-2398, but neither of them wanted to get into another fight. Dekas' rare Aurelian medical diagnosis ended up postponing it again since he had to deal with that first, and then he planned to leave again. Something they already knew would be the case. She seemed to understand a little better since she did say goodbye the second time. But given the time that has passed, and the way their lives have changed... it's not anywhere close to what it was. It's hard to say that it ever will be. They're not sure what that means for the future.
|Ura, Crystal sculptor|
One of Dekas' older sisters. Triplets with Daffa and Koori. 5 year age difference to Dekas. They were fairly close given their closer age range, but because of his closeness to Koori, it wasn't quite as close as it could have been. But neither party is bitter because it's not like it's unusual to have favorites. She supports his goals and loves him dearly, and the sentiment is returned.
|Zhia'Qi, Niece, Newly an adult|
Zhia'Qi, "Zhia"(pronounced like "Zjaw", Full name is: "Zjaw-key". Sometimes visiting humanoids call her Jockey in their accent and she is also okay with that) is Dekas' favorite niece. They get along swimmingly and relate to each other on how much they each stand out. And while they are different personalities, they do have a similar sense of humor, and surprisingly similar life goals. She's the daughter of Eris and Eris' bondmate Khess'Qi. She stands out with a very different color of feathers to both of her parents as she is a mixed bird from two differently feathered flocks. She is 20 years old now, newly an adult by Aurelian standards. She can sort of be considered a student as she is picking up fluency in Federation Standard. But she isn't in official university classes yet otherwise as she's considering a Starfleet career, potentially. A lot like Dekas, but in her case, she would prefer to know which college she's attending rather than attending both Aurelian and Starfleet colleges. (Her attention span is such that she wouldn't enjoy going to college twice as Dekas did. Just one is fine, thanks.) She wants to talk to Dekas about it before she fully solidifies her decision as he's the one person she'd trust to say what she needed to hear either way. So for now she's enjoying her life as a cultural adult until she knows for sure where she wants to take things in her career. Dekas doesn't know this yet.
|Zaraleek-Om, Childhood friend, Traveler, Psychologist & Sociologist, Unrequited love|
Zaraleek-Om “Zara” is the great-grandson of Aurelia's late renowned Historian Loom Aleek-Om. He's about a year older than Dekas. They met through their mothers being well-known historians within their respective flocks, and good friends. Zaraleek was Dekas' best friend that wasn't family. At some point, Dekas found himself very in love with Zara. He told him so and considered courting him. But Zara is a free spirit and before anything could be acted on, Zara was given permission to study psychology and sociology on Vulcan and left Aurelia for it. Dekas put his focus on getting into Starfleet once he left. During Dekas' recent LOA, Zara was back home for a little while coincidentally, which was nice since it’d been at least eight years since he’d really talked to him. Dekas still loves Zara deeply. But Zara is somewhat emotionally unavailable and has unintentionally toyed with his feelings. He’s always had odd tendencies to return his affections for a short time before cutting him off without warning. They promised to keep in contact this time and he plans to try. Dekas prefers to focus on things in his present situations and relationships. But there are unrequited, unresolved feelings about Zaraleek-Om nonetheless.
|Commander Collins, Chief of Science on the USS Arrow, new friend, Kindred spirit, Friend Crush Friday Candidate.|
Dekas met Commander Collins while he was visiting for Captain Oddas' promotion to Fleet Captain. And the way Collins spoke and acted hit Dekas with such a sudden and profound dose of serotonin that he was slightly enamored and considering what color to use for a best friend bracelet for him somewhere deep down. Quentin effortlessly revitalized his already high vibrational energy, and Dekas liked the way it made him feel. Essentially he views Quentin as a kindred spirit at first sight somehow, and he can't explain exactly why, just that he feels it. Something about him just speaks to his soul and he wants to be best buds with Commander Collins.
|Commander Serinus, Chief of Security on the USS Arrow, new friend|
Dekas met Serinus during a walk in the corridors during his visit for Captain Oddas' promotion to Fleet Captain. Serinus was walking his very adorable miniature Targ. Dekas thinks the Targ is adorable, and that Serinus is very kind. Really he's finding himself endeared to the crew of the Arrow and he's only met two of them... so far.
Missions & Shore Leaves
|Visitors in the Night (239801-239802):|
Dekas came in at the end of this one and doesn't have all the information for it, but he did find it altogether fascinating to be in the presence of a living vessel, and also the quasar.
|The Brave Ferengi (239803-239804):|
Dekas took to the surface with some of the away team and helped to sort out some of the issues with the Jem'Hadar and the Ferengi Damon who'd claimed ownership of the planet.
|Return to the Ring (239805-239806/239807):|
He was really only there for a short piece of this one, but he helped at the engineering station on the Grace Hopper to figure out what was going on with the crew below who'd been taken and used to help the last surviving alien of the Ring.
|LOA: Dekas takes a brief LOA home to Aurelia 239807-239811 (Roughly. Give or take a few weeks.)|
|The Silent Monster (239811-239812/239901): As the Juneau is surveying the planet Anadasa, an M-class world inhabited by a pre-industrialized civilization, the Tactical Department detects a crashed Borg ship deep within the planet’s ocean. Dekas is assigned to an away team on Anadasa's moon to search through an old Cardassian base. A base which has unwittingly started to become infested with Borg tech, and is quickly becoming more Borg than Cardassian influence. It is here that Dekas gets jabbed with an assimilation tube and partially assimilated. Only saved thanks to the existence of a nanoprobe vaccine of sorts.|
|Finders Keepers (239902-239904.20): Just hours after the Juneau ends their shore leave to move onto their next mission, they’re called back to Ring 42 to help the USS Grace Hopper, which has been unexpectedly attacked by pirates looking to steal an artifact of unknown properties, then were gone into The Wilds just as fast. The kicker? The pirates mysteriously beamed right through the ship’s shields at will to get it.|
|A Web Unbound (239906.15-TBA): Shore Leave on Denali Station is recalled after a sensor in the operations department picks up strange, possibly dangerous readings from somewhere within the Market District. Simultaneously, a door opens on the ominous spired building that doesn't look like any of the other buildings in the City.|
|Take Me Somewhere Else (239909.10-TBA): As Fleet Captain Oddas starts making the necessary preparations to welcome the delegations from Mitandar and the Cardassian Union, Chief Science Officer Tomas Falt comes across an interesting report about the recent discovery of a mysterious hall underneath one of the Spires located outside the Administrative Area.|
|Shore Leave 1: Kidnapping with a side of friendship (239802-239803):|
Dekas checks in with, then XO, Commander Orrey. He also gets his first medical check done by Doctor Rel Cassi and is in fine health. He gets the chance to visit Lightside Station and finds himself making friends with Isabelle Deveaux, Vitor Silveira, and Kalos Fiorr in the floral boutique. Dekas also gets the chance to help rescue Kidnapped and stranded officers T'Lea and Indobri from the uninhabitable planet below the station. Followed by an awards ceremony to finish the Shore Leave off.
|Shore Leave 2: Mega-deck, and a mega spa day (239804-239805):|
Dekas visits Nyka Wyss' new size upgrade to Lightside Station's holodeck (affectionately dubbed The Megadeck). He is also there with T'Lea, and Doctor Indobri. They all find themselves stuck in it as it malfunctions and the holographic people in this Old Western setting process him as he is and they are starting to think for themselves. In the end, Indobri uses her telepathic abilities to make them go to sleep, while Dekas figures out the Engineering side of things. Once sorted, they find that it's related to an Iconian artifact that was connected to it that was giving them something akin to sentience. Nyka Wyss and Dekas become friends, and she gives him a cowboy hat as a gift. This is also the Shore Leave where Dekas spent a little time in the spa with Captain Oddas and their new Intelligence officer Alexander Williams. Dekas also visits Counselor Tierney to talk about the previous mission and some little family issues back home on Aurelia.
|Shoreleave 3: Return from The Leave (239811):|
Dekas returns from his LOA at the tail end of the Juneau's Shore Leave on DS9 and Bajor. He gets a quick chance to explore the station, get a little acquainted, and get a good view of the marvelous Bajoran wormhole. He then checks in with their very new XO Kalia Qinn, who asks him while he's there what his opinion is on if the awards ceremony should be casual or formal, and he answers with casual. Then follows it up by later going to the casual awards ceremony where he gets a chance to talk with Captain Oddas and Stelek in the process.
|Shoreleave 4: Vampires, Pickles, and Promotions. Oh my! (239901-239902):|
After a traumatic mission of getting assimilated on Anadasa's moon, Shore Leave is set on Ring 42. Dekas has a conversation with Major Han after the whole incident. Dekas also plans a holodeck situation to help decompress and make friends and is joined by Sera, Tomas Falt, and Motor Vihn, where they play as D&D classes in a fantasy setting and slay some holodeck vampires. Dekas finds he has sleeping issues and talks to Counselor R'Kala about that and his Borg Trauma. He goes camping with Qinn and her daughter Tashi. He, Sera, and Kettick sort out a pickle in Engineering. Not long after, the Juneau has a Masquerade-themed Award's Ceremony, in which Dekas flirts with Falt just a little bit, and receives a Purple Heart, the Recovery Ribbon, and the Unity Ribbon along with getting promoted to Lieutenant JG.
|Shoreleave 5: New home, who dis? (239904.20-TBA):|
Not long after the events of Finders Keepers, Captain Oddas Aria gets assigned to be the commanding officer of the newly established Denali Station on Ring 42, and along with it, she gets a promotion to Fleet Captain by the visiting Cmdre. Rahman of the USS Kitty Hawk. (As well as visitors Quentin Collins, and Artinus Serinus of the USS Arrow.) During the actual award ceremony Dekas along with the rest of the crew are awarded the Starfleet Investigation Ribbon and the Operation Safe Harbor Service Medal. Dekas along with Qinn, Indobri, Falt, and Kettick is awarded the Intelligence Star. And Dekas is promoted to Full Lieutenant, much to his surprise. During the move, Dekas takes note of some infrastructure concerns, flies for the first time, finally reaches out to his family, takes a walk on the "beach", and explores a little bit of the Market District with some friends (Sera, Tomas Falt, Zaaia Leix, and the visiting Commander Collins.)
|Shoreleave 6: Expansion. (239908): |
After "A Web Unbound" the crew takes the time to help in expanding the station to allow for more people. Dekas bonds with Sera over a sleepless night, pranks Chief of Security John Kendrick by sound mimicking the combadge chirp, talks with new counselor Ashley Yael and finds he thinks he's a lovely person, and gets stuck in an elevator with hilarious misanthrope Naomi Frayley by accident. And helps plan the award's ceremony that's set at the Station's new nightclub, Mobius. He gets a bit drunk and actually catches some genuine, soft feelings for Counselor Yael while inviting him back to his apartment for a good time... if you know what I mean. ;)
Mission specific important sims
- Title of SIM - (Stardate and brief description of what happens)
Shore Leave important sims
- "Sibling Rivalry" - (239806.13, Dekas has a counseling session with Counsellor Airik Tierney about the mission on Aturn VII, and his current relationship with his sister back on Aurelia.)
- "In Fine Feather" - (239811.13, After an LOA, going through a rare Aurelian health diagnosis that kept him away longer, he returns to The Juneau to find he's struggling more than he thought. But he keeps his head up and meets with the new XO.)
- "Looks like I owe a lot of people a drink." - (239902.10, Ensign Dekas gets graciously promoted to Lieutenant JG Dekas.)
- "Watch as this JG becomes a full BLT! (Not Clickbait)" - (239905.07, Lieutenant JG Dekas gets shockingly promoted to Lieutenant.)
- "The Right Person" - (239905.10, Lieutenant Dekas gets the opportunity to be Head of Infrastructure Development on Denali Station.)
- "To be a 'normal person'" - (239905.14, Dekas flies for the first time in months in the newly minted Denali Station and makes a decision to be more Aurelian.)
- "Strike the Ground" - (239905.21, Dekas contacts his family after months of silence on his end, and has a nice chat with his mother.)
- "Vulnerability" - (239909.08, While drunk and flirtatiously dancing with Ashley Yael at Club Mobius after an Award's Ceremony, he finds himself catching some real feelings, and experiencing a little bit of insecurity about being an Aurelian in the process.)
Dekas' Assimilation Arc.
- "The Careless Version. Part 2" - (239812.21 On an abandoned Cardassian base that's being rewritten with Borg specs and blocking transporters to the ship, Dekas gets jabbed with a Borg injection tube and starts the beginning stages of assimilation.)
- "Threshold." - (239812.24 Dekas' Assimilation escalates to a peak. And at the moment where he thinks it's all over, and that resistance really is futile, hope arrives in the form of Commander Kalia Qinn.)
- "Not if. When." & "Be Honest." - (239812.30 With the anti-assimilation drug administered, and the base taken down, Dekas is beamed into sickbay in the care of Doctor Vihn and Nurse Pelley. Dekas goes through the ebb and flow of fear and hope.)
- "The end of a really long day." - (239901.01 Vihn and Pelley find a solution to the problem and give Dekas a successful dose of anti-assimilation medication and he's finally able to go to sleep.)
- "The Pit." - (239901.02 Dekas dreams, and buries the pain with the shade of himself in said dream.)
- "Sleepless in Space: Part I" & "Sleepless in Space: Part II" - (239901.24, Dekas goes to Counselor R'Kala about his sleeping problems, to figure out what to do about them.)
Awards & Service Ribbon Citations
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
- More instructions about how to use the service record template can be found at Template:Service Record.
|Starfleet Service Record
|NPC Listing · Denali Station Crew Manifest · Crew History