“Give me a challenge, and I'll meet it with joy.”
Millions of eyes watched the skies the morning the NASA shuttle Challenger, with its seven person crew, lifted off to begin a new era in exploration through education. Its demise 73 seconds after liftoff characterizes not only a loss of life but a loss of a dream for a brighter future.
That vision for a brighter future continues 397 years to the day of that tragic loss, with the commissioning of the Akira class starship USS Challenger. Her mission will be to inspire, to teach and to learn as her crew honors those who have come before them and seeks to bring new possibilities to those who come after.
The original Challenger served valiantly for many years until Stardate 238603.03, when in a battle with the Nevenians the ship was auto-destructed to prevent it from falling into hostile hands. The crew was rescued, weary and battle-scarred, and returned to Deep Space 24. The surviving crew was reassigned to the USS Challenger-A, a brand new Sovereign Class ship.
Pursuant to Starfleet Exploration Directives 902.3 & 914.5, Starfleet Defense Directives 138.6, 141.1 & 154.7, and Federation Security Council General Policy, the following objectives have been established for the Sovereign Class Starship:
- Provide a multi-mission mobile platform for a wide range of scientific and explorative research projects.
- Replace Excelsior, Ambassador, and New Orleans class Starships as the primary instrument of Federation deep-space defense.
- Provide autonomous capability for full execution of Federation defensive, cultural, scientific, and explorative policy in deep space or border territory.
- Serve as a frontline support vehicle during times of war and emergencies.
- Provide a mobile platform for testing and implementation of mission-specific or new technology of any kind.
|Starfleet Vessel Register|