The Captains Council is the lower of the two staff bodies which has been sanctioned by the UFOP Constitution to run the day-to-day operations of the community.
Generally, the CC is tasked with IC issues. The list of reserved powers for the CC is as follows:
- Creation of "official" alien races;
- Recognition of plants, races, concepts, weapons, scientific advances, religions, political movements or developments, philosophies or other things or ideas as being an official part of the UFOP milieu once those ideas, concepts or things have been discussed in simulated plots;
- Serving as the first appellate forum for discipline of commanders and junior officers;
- Creation of new awards or discontinuance of old awards except those applicable to flag officers only;
- Creation, alteration or amendment of the requirements for advancement to the rank of full commander;
- To call upon the EC by majority resolution to act on any issue. If the EC shall not act within 30 days of the EC magistrate receiving word of the resolution from the CC magistrate, the right to act shall return to the CC who shall act subject to the other articles of this CONSTITUTION (including EC veto powers and discipline). If the CC does not act within 30 days of the resolution return, the resolution becomes null and void as if never passed.
- See also: Constitutional Bylaw 7: Membership of the Captain's Council
- Executive Council Members
- Executive Council members hold full voting and discussion rights on the CC unconditionally.
- Fleet Admiral Tristan Wolf, although eligible to vote in CC matters, generally does not.
- Captains and Above
- Members who have officially achieved at least the rank of Captain, which is defined as having passed the captain's written and practical exams and having been recognized and awarded said rank by the Executive Council, and maintain active status hold full voting and discussion rights on the CC.
- Members who have officially achieved the rank of Commander, which is defined as having passed the commander's written and practical exams and having been recognized and awarded said rank by the Captains Council, and maintain active status hold full discussion rights on the CC. Commanders may also vote on the CC except for matters concerning the discipline of officers; nominations for, or promotions to the rank of full commander; and the creation, alteration or amendment of the requirements for advancement to the rank of full commander.
- First Officers
- Members who hold the position of First Officer are allowed to view and participate in discussion among the CC.
- Those individuals not holding at least the rank of Commander, however, are not granted any voting rights.
Captains and Above