|Birthplace||San Francisco, California|
Bryce Tagren-Quinn is currently serving as a medical officer aboard the USS Gorkon.
Appearance & Presence
- Height: 1.78m (5'10")
- Build: Slim, athletic
- Hair: Dark auburn (more brown than red). Thick, longish, often tousled (and gets a little messy when he's worked an extended shift or under stress). Otherwise, clean and neatly styled.
- Eyes: Hazel green
- Off-Duty Clothing: Clean, fashionable with a bit of roguish flare. Lush blazers, oxidized silver rings, crisp undershirts, sweaters in social settings, and sweats, shorts, and t-shirts when running.
- Nicknames: Bry (reserved for friends and family), Doctor T, Doctor or Doc T-Q (given by Loxley), Doctor Babyface (given by a patient, Tzim-Shah), and Doctor Q-T Pie (given by a former fling/ex, Gexena - see Relationships).
Bryce considers himself a doctor first and an officer second.
While on duty, he has a calm and methodical approach and doesn't fluster easily. It is worth mentioning that he can, at times, become hyper-focused on a task (almost to detriment). He has been called an "absent-minded professor" before. He can also be direct at times and come off as a pompous jerk, but if he is it comes from a place of genuinely wanting to help versus being malicious. He is conscientiousness, organized but also flexible depending on the situation.
While off duty, his thoughts tend to drift and wander. Under the visage of a calm, collected physician is a troubled soul. He may appear to be in his early-to-mid-20s by standard Terran years, but there is an older soul with a breadth of experience that can, at times, haunt him if he is allowed alone with his thoughts.
Work gives him purpose and focus.
He is artistic and has a penchant for exobotany. Is a bit outdoorsy; likes rock-climbing, running, and hiking.
Physiology & Medical Notes
No one could really anticipate how he would mature given his unique lineage. When Bryce was a child he, like his biological mother Aribelle Tagren, developed and grew at the same rate as any full-blooded Human. At about the age of 19, the aging process started to slow as a result of his El-Aurian side and essentially 'stopped' physically aging (at least, by appearances) by the age of 24.
It is because of this he is often perceived as being younger than he truly is.
Overall, the aging process is different for El-Aurian hybrids and seems to be unique to each individual based off stress, life experience and other factors. There have been theories and studies, with mentions of the Hayflick limit as well as El-Aurian immune systems, but this remains something to be a topic of debate.
Additionally, the El-Aurians are endangered, but are known to be semi-ancient and nomadic in nature. They are also seemingly good listeners and some have a temporal sense. While the latter of that statement may be confined primarily to those that experienced the Nexus event, Bryce does have a way with his patients that mirrors his mother’s approach: he is personable, sensitive, listens, and follows the platinum rule. However, with the present state of El-Aurian numbers and their ability to seemingly intermarry and interbred with other species, more and more information is being gathered that would shed light on their unique biology.
- Depression, Stress & Secondhand Trauma: After the events of the lunar colony, Bryce suffered from an inordinate amount of guilt, pain and trauma. When he returned home, the invisible wounds were apparent and while he sought medical attention (in the form of therapy, etc.), his existing relationships suffered. For a time, he fell into a black void that consisted of some reckless behavior and a string of one-night stands and took some time off work before slowly reintegrating after his providers were confident that he was fit for duty. While still finding himself after those events, he is actively seeking purpose in his work and finding ways to build healthy, strong friendships and working relationships. He believes in strong support systems and the power of community. Note: Due to the timing of treatment and his overall commitment and progress, a waiver was granted, with the understanding that counseling sessions are required routinely.
- Scars: Not visible typically while in uniform. Has a gunshot scar on his right shoulder and a knife scar along the left side of his torso. There's also a large scar around his left knee and leg from a rock-climbing injury.
- Spouse/Significant Other: None
- Children: None
- Father: Paul Quinn (Human)
Biological father and former Starfleet Captain (Human) of the USS Poseidon and, later, the SS Valestar. Father and son have a complicated history and their relationship is tenuous at best. The man is shrouded in mystery. While he is officially "retired" from Starfleet, it is widely acknowledged that his father was discharged on bad terms.
- Birth Mother: Amy Quinn-Williamson (Deceased, Human)
She was a full-blooded Terran that carried her twins to term. For Bryce's early life, Amy was his anchor. His beautiful, sweet and caring mother. When he grew a little older and found that she wasn't his biological mother, it of course was met with disbelief and anger. Later, when found the true story of his conception and birth, he felt like his whole life was a lie; the experiment and machinations of his already warped father.
- Biological Mother: Doctor Aribelle Tagren (El-Aurian/Human)
His biological mother, who donated her eggs for altruistic reasons decades ago before entering medical school. She did not know of Bryce's existence until he sought her out.
- Maternal Grandfather: Tristan Tagren (Deceased), former Chief Tactical Officer aboard the USS Valkyrie. See Aribelle Tagren's profile for more information.
- Maternal Grandmother: Lelian, a full-blooded El-Aurian and SS Lakul survivor (2293). She was trapped in the Nexus. See Aribelle Tagren's profile for more information.
- Twin sister: Elyia “Elie” Cameron Tagren-Quinn (El-Aurian/Human)
Gregarious, vibrant and witty, Elyia is currently Bryce's compass and lifeline. She's an accomplished psychiatrist and social psychologist. While Bryce broods, Elyia brings it out in the open and gets over it. She helped to pull him out of the dark abyss that was their teenage years and the Calesian Lunar Colony disaster (and probably others, but we haven't gone there quite yet).
- Former Fiancé: Cer Voya, an unjoined Trill, with black hair and cerulean-colored eyes. He is a well-respected cardiologist. The pair's relationship was very tender and loving but dissolved shortly after Bry's return from the Calesian Lunar Colony disaster. While his fiancé tried adamantly to be supportive, Bry just wasn't in a good place to receive it. Things changed and they drifted apart.
- Former Fling: Gexena, a Betazoid nurse. Dark eyes, dark hair. The relationship between doctor and his nurse was a secret for some time and started during his somewhat downward spiral after the lunar disaster but, after some soul searching, he broke it off. It was more of a physical thing than one that manifested out of any real feelings, and he felt terrible about it. She was more in love with him than he was with her, and he felt she deserved better.
- Martin Watson: Roommates on deck 8, Bry finds Martin to be something of a kindred spirit and feels a start of a friendship developing.
Bryce was born to Paul Quinn and his wife Amy, an elementary school teacher, in San Francisco, California. His mother wanted a stable upbringing for him and his twin sister, Elie, so they stayed Earth bound while his father traveled the stars on his Sovereign-class vessel, the USS Poseidon. The family was reunited during times of shore leave, interstellar calls, and an occasional visit to the ship, but the distance strained his parent’s marriage and, eventually, they divorced (the twins were three at the time). His father’s presence at that point was perceived as obligatory at best and when when he later retired from Starfleet, his presence in his children’s lives remained minimal. Duty before family, even when he was no longer active. It’s a bit of a sore topic for Bryce, one that he would not bring up in casual conversation.
His views of his father were made even cloudier when he learned that his biological mother was Aribelle Tagren, an El-Aurian/Human hybrid physician and decorated Starfleet officer. There’s an even deeper history there that left Bryce confused and conflicted, and on some level feeling betrayed by a supposed wonderful officer, a man, a father that continually let him down.
However, Bryce’s personality type didn't allow him ruminate on matters for too long (or, was it he needed to find purpose to occupy space in his head?). Regardless, he wanted to push forward and find ways where he can bring some good into the universe and not focus on the bad.
That is the drive that compelled him to pursue medicine. It was always something that clicked for him and biology seemed to come naturally. He completed his undergraduate studies before attending medical school, and then went on to complete his internship and residency.
It was during his quest to become a doctor that an event forever changed Bryce’s course. A bit jaded with Starfleet (because of his father and seeing how it all sort of ripped through families), the young El-Aurian was committed and content with his civilian medical studies. However, when a Lunar colony in the outskirts of the quadrant suffered a great calamity that resulted in thousands of injuries and casualties in the hundreds, Starfleet called upon civilian medical volunteers to assist. It was called the Calesian Lunar Colony disaster. Bryce was one of these volunteers and it was during this time something resonated within him, deeply affecting him.
He had seen so much death and despair, and developed a connection to the individuals he was helping. When the civilian efforts were no longer needed after things had reached a less heightened phase, Bryce was shooed away by Starfleet. It left him feeling like he lost a little of himself, and suffered from secondary trauma and depression after the events.
Bryce floated between people after that, against the professional medical advice he was given. He took time off practicing medicine to focus on himself; to heal, immersing in nature and finding himself sliding still.
Until he found his footing.
Until he decided to make a change.
Knowing that this was irrevocably a part of his experience and history, he wanted to spin it into something where he could do something.
The decision to join Starfleet came about a year after his experiences. It seemed to manifest out of nowhere but, when the thought occurred to him, Bryce was angry at himself for taking so long to get there. It effectively dispelled those images that plagued him: the idea of helping more, giving his everything to give the best possible chance for better outcomes for others. All the while he would be in a better position to never be sent away again.
There were so many individuals that needed help out there and he was determined to help where he could. And Starfleet, for whatever complicated his views were, embraced him. And, he embraced them back.
- Has worked at Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic on Earth.
- Served as a cadet and emergency physician/surgeon on Deep Space 6 (DS6).
- Co-authored Trends in Emergency Medicine in a Deep Space Station Setting: An Examination of Improvement of Care When Compared to a Starship and Planet-Based Setting, Starfleet Medical Journal, 2396, 4(2), pp. 115-134.
- Was originally posted to the USS Amphitrite after he graduated but was redirected to the USS Gorkon.
|Starfleet Service Record
Awards & Service Ribbons
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
- Replace the links below with links to your own SIMs that you find memorable or are important to your character - you may want to add more as your time with the fleet goes on! You can find a complete archive of sims here at the SIM Archive.
- Title of First SIM - (Stardate and brief description of what happens)
- Title of Second SIM - (Stardate and brief description of what happens)
- To end your bio, we're going to drop in some code here for your ship's crew template, which should appear at the bottom of your bio and will help members of the fleet easily browse other bios of your shipmates. Change the name of the ship below to whatever the name of your character's ship is, unless of course you've been assigned to the USS Gemini! Don't forget the letter suffix for your ship if yours has one (such as the USS Darwin-A).
- The Mythology of Sea and Stars: His father was the former CO of the USS Poseidon, while Bryce's first posting was the USS Amphitrite.
- Artist and Scientist: His mother used to drag him to art events when he was a small child, and he participated in many murals that are on display across the galaxy. He originally took science classes as a means to better understand anatomy and forms in nature, to further develop his art. It was through those classes that he discovered he had a natural affinity for biology. He has used his art as a means to communicate complicated medical scenarios with patients and family; demystifying a confusing and scary diagnosis, stripping away heavy medical-laden terminology, and building a bridge between doctor and patient. This has produced not only trust, but inspired greater patient compliance resulting in better outcomes.
|NPC Listing · USS Gorkon Crew Manifest · Crew History