Kevin Breeman/Professional History
- 1 Education
- 2 Service Record
- 3 Awards
- 4 Mission Logs
During his highschool days, Kevin fell in love with computer programming and decided to work as a programmer the rest of his life. The craft of programming seemed at the time to be a great companion in a world of people making fun of and taunting him.
Kevin attended a small liberal arts college / university for his computer science undergraduate degree. His primary focus there was the application of computers to solve mathematical problems and to create fictional realities.
Shortly before graduating, Kevin decided that a life on Earth working as a computer programmer didn't sound as appealing to him as a life exploring. So he applied to and was accepted into Starfleet Academy.
- Reputation at the Academy
During his academy days Kevin was well-known for his programming ability. He would, on his spare time, develop programs to augment the entertainment facilities of whichever dorm he happened to be staying in. Attempts by security officers to bar him from accessing the systems tended to result in his hacking around their precautions. Nevertheless, the faculty of the academy did not consider Kevin's security violations serious enough to warrant his dismissal. They also saw his creativity as potentially valuable in the future officer.
Kevin always carried with him a colony of nanites in a container. He saw them as a kind of swiss army knife. With the unintentional evolution of the Smileys, Kevin had to rethink this idea and so he allowed both B and 8 serve as that swiss army knife, though Kevin tended to frown on their roaming his current assigned ship without his supervision. On stardate 238609.23 he sent them to the Daystrom Institute fearing their inability to serve as starfleet officers like the rest of the crew who were actually authorized to perform the kinds of repairs that the smileys loved doing.
- Unorthodox Problem Solving
During his final cadet cruise, Kevin was able to demonstrate the success of Cadet Koloth's appending of long-range sensor data onto the internal sensor inputs by recourse to graph theoretic topological homeomorphisms.
Favourite Courses in School
- Creative writing
Kevin took creative writing under the famous Walter Horne. In that class he learned the importance of keeping a detailed journal of his personal history. He also found the course a welcome distraction from the remnants of whatever existential angst he might have had as he entered the academy after deciding against a career in computer programming.
Finally, as part of an assignment to produce an artistic representation of his own perception of himself as a reader of literature, Kevin took a schematic from an ancient space probe and, comparing himself as reader to the probe as explorer, modified the image. Many of his peers commented that perhaps the work betrayed an overly mechanised imagination in the young officer or perhaps a lack of understanding of his emotional side.
Kevin was taught philosophy by an elderly and sociable Antosian. One of his favourite lectures was one on ontology, in which the professor discussed the ontological status of virtual objects from various perspectives throughout the history of Earth and other civilizations.
Notable Accomplishments and Promotions
- 238603.03 - deciphers harmonic encryption algorithm used for storing Science Station 7623 transwarp experimental logs
- 238607.04 - Made acting chief of engineering in lieu of injury of Ethan Brice
- 238609.30 - Made chief of science aboard the USS Independence-A
- 238609.23 - Hands over Smileys to the Daystrom Institute for study
- 238706.03 - Transfer to USS Ronin to assume the role of chief science officer
- 238709.18 - Employs reverse-engineered mechanical flies in confusing and disabling Vaadwaur forces occupying DS-17
- 238711.03 - Transfer to USS Victory to take on the role of assistant chief of engineering
- 238902.05 - Promoted to first officer in lieu of Captain Andrus Jaxx's transfer of command to Captain Nicholotti
- 238904.04 - Requests to step down from first officer position, seeing himself as less useful there than he had been as chief engineer.
- 238701.27 TOSMA II
- 238701.27 Purple Star
- 238801.01 B-Plot Award
- 238801.01 Merria Medallion
- 238901.01 Phoenix Award
- 238901.01 Russ Bar
- 238901.01 TOSMA
USS Independence-A Missions
While on shoreleave as the chief of science aboard the Independence-A, Kevin and Guy Hunt investigated some peculiar space-borne life forms. During those investigations Kevin snapped the image to the right.
USS Ronin Missions
USS Victory Missions
- Victory Transport One Away Mission
- Assisted in troubleshooting warp core issues that led ultimately to a buildup of gravitons sufficient to produce a micro black hole in the vicinity of the shuttlecraft.
- Empire Falling
- Космическая Rонка
- Helped the crew of the Apollo spacecraft rebuild their vessel and complete their mission as originally planned after the antiquated spacecraft collided with the Victory.
Starbase 118 Ops Missions
- Heavy Metal
- Promoted to First Officer. Helped steer the Victory clear of oncoming high-speed railgun-like projectiles. Aided in decrypting transmissions that ultimately led to the conviction and discharge of Lieutennant Commander Jennifer Azorian and Admiral Murlowe. Ultimately stepped down from first officer role to resume the role of chief engineer after deciding he was more useful in his former role.
- The Mask of Sanity
- Worked out the causes of the apparent "shadowing" phenomenon of personnel aboard the USS Calgary disappearing into different realities.