- Full Name: Azriel Derrida
- Race: Terran
- Date of Birth: 236105.10
- Place of Birth: Toronto, Earth
- Age: 28
- Gender: Male
- Telepathic status: None
- Height: 6'4"
- Weight: 190 lbs
- Hair Color: Brown
- Length of Hair: Medium
- Eye Color: Blue
- Skin Tone: Tan
- Birthmarks, Scars: None
- Build: Muscular
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): Generally relaxed wear and barefoot or sandals
- Voice: Firm but friendly
- Handedness: Right
- Quarters: Azriel's quarters tend to be a mess as he generally uses them as a dumping ground. He keeps several pieces of art, often unhung, that were given to him by friends and inherited from family. He has little interest in decorations or personalization of his space.
- Favorite Room: The surgical ward or a lab
- Mannerisms:Azriel gestures a lot when he talks, often using motions to make his point or emphasize particular ideas. He has zero patience for people that waste his time or have betrayed his confidence in some way.
- Temperment: Slow to anger but once he looses his temper he becomes unpredictable. His intense focus on his work can make him seem distracted.
- Habits: Azriel tends to keep his mind busy at all times. If not on duty, or busy with something, he will be reading or looking for company. While his personal space is often unkempt his personal appearance is impeccable.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Faithless
Hobbies and Pastimes
- Azriel reads, exercises, and drinks. He is rarely comfortable alone for extended periods of time and so will generally be found working in a public space. Even when not interacting with people Azriel will always choose a busy location over a secluded one.
Likes and Dislikes
- Likes: People, science, rationalism, animals.
- Dislikes: Religion, irrationalism, business people, people who he sees as "scheming"
Ambitions and Goals
Azriel intends to eventually found a research hospital on Earth.
Personal Achievements and Disappointments
- Achievements in Life: Holder of a MD/PhD in non-human genetics and surgery. Graduated from his medical program at the top of his class. Successfully avoided being pulled into the family business.
- Disappointments in Life: His decision to leave Earth resulted in the collapse of his engagement. His ties to his family are strained at best.
- Marital Status: Single
- Father: Asher Derrida
- Mother: Serena Derrida (formerly Archibald)
Azriel was born in Toronto to an incredibly wealthy family with a diversified financial portfolio. As a result of his families wealth his father and mother were not required to work and so chose to spend much of their time at various social engagements. While his father was officially the head of a hedge fund his presence was rarely required and his role was largely ceremonial. Azriel was often left with caretakers whom he regarded as more his family than his own parents. When Azriel turned 16 his father, Asher, provided him with a choice: become head of the family business when he turned 18 or leave his family home. As Azriel was disinterested in what he considered a corrupting lifestyle he made the decision to leave. As soon as Azriel left his family home Asher cut all ties however Serena, his mother, occasionally contacts Azriel.
Despite Azriel's choice to leave his family, his personal wealth and holdings remains substantial and so Azriel was easily able to afford a home of his own. When Azriel turned 17 he was accepted into the University of Toronto in the pre-medical program. Azriel then attended the University of British Colombia in Vancouver to receive his MD/PhD. Azriel graduated top of his class and was immediately accepted into Starfleet as a medical officer and researcher.
Despite Azriel's success in his career his personal life remains a complete mess. Azriel's fiance of seven years, Jeff, left him shortly after he chose to join Starfleet as he wasn't interested in becoming an Wife". Azriel was crushed by Jeff's choice to leave and remains cool towards anyone who seems romantically interested. Azriel's experience with his family and their business partners also tends to make him distrustful of strangers. While Azriel has substantial personal wealth he looks on his families money with disdain and left Earth as a way to escape the lifestyle that is inherent to that wealth.
Azriel's youth was spent with other members of extremely wealthy families and so he had very few positive influences in his life. As a result his moral compass and his sense of "right" and "wrong" are more subjective than what others would expect. While Azriel generally stays within the legal boundaries he isn't above using alternative means to achieve his end if he feels the decision in justified.
Despite his personal setbacks Azriel is an extremely gifted researcher and often deals with personal issues by burying himself into his work. This has lead to professional success and personal disaster.