|Crew of the USS Apollo|
- Full name: Gregory Martin Able
- Date of birth (Age): September 18th 2364 (236409.18)
- Species: Human (African American)
- Gender: Male
- Hair color: Black
- Eye color: Brown
- Height: 1.80m
- Parents: Martin and Elena Able
- Siblings: Christie Able (b. 2371)
- Spouse: none
- Children: none
- September 18th 2364: Born, Baton Rouge North America
- September 5th 2378: Begins High School in Baton Rouge, LA
- June 2nd 2382: Graduates from High School 21st in year.
- June 2382: Applies for Starfleet Academy for the first time, is not selected.
- June 2383: Applies for Starfleet Academy for the second time, fails interview stage.
- 2383-5: On his fathers advice to get into the real world, works as a technician at a drive yard in New Orleans. Finds work tough but begins to find his feet, make friends and build up skills as an engineer.
- June 2385: Applies to Starfleet Academy and is selected.
- 2385-6: Begins Starfleet training, chooses Engineering as specialty.
- 2386-7: Changes from Engineering stream to Science stream, specialization in Planetary Geo-sciences, but also minors in structural engineering.
- 2387-8: Continues studies towards Planetary Geo-science with Applied Structural Engineering. Spends 2 months on Bajor on a Geo-science expedition. Also spends 4 weeks at a Federation colony construction facility.
- 2388-9: Completes the bulk of his studies and prepares for Cadet Cruise.
Gregory Able, known as Greg to everyone except his mother, was born and grew up in the southern city of Baton Rouge, Louisiana in North America. Raised in a slightly old-fashioned household, but both parents were reasonably liberal. The family traveled a little but never left Earth and Greg grew up very much on the ground. Greg grew up during the period of the Dominion Wars and saw daily news reel footage of the war as a 9 and 10 year old. He saw heroes and bravery in uniform and always wanted to join Starfleet through his teenage years. Both his parents supported him in his efforts, but secretly his father wasn't sure Greg had the right stuff straight out of school.
When Greg failed to gain entry to Starfleet Academy in San Francisco a second time his father advised him to get a job and get some real world experience under his belt before retrying. Greg got a job in a drive yard in New Orleans servicing, overhauling and scrapping shuttles and smaller craft. The work was hard, the hours long and Greg found it hard going, but he also discovered an immediate practical streak and took to the work and enjoyed it. It was also just what Starfleet Academy wanted to see. His experience at the yards, new found enthusiasm, better physical shape and abilities made a much better case. Greg was accepted to Starfleet Academy in 2385.
While his background at the drive yards lead Greg to enter Starfleet Academy as an engineer, his compulsory Science classes revealed a new passion for Science in Greg. He switched stream for his second year and pursued his new found interests for the rest of his time at the Academy, while maintaining and expanding his Engineering skills with additional classes.
Greg is an easy-going, friendly but driven character. Always laughing and smiling when relaxed, but deadly serious when the chips are down. Past-times include playing Jazz trumpet, Parrises squares and Bajoran spring-ball. Will eat almost anything but really loves good Creole and Cajun food from back home.