“Your past must not dictate your future.”
Lieutenant Randal Shayne is serving as chief helmsman aboard the USS Atlantis.
After serving aboard the USS Darwin as her primary HCO officer, Shayne was reassigned to the USS Atlantis permanently. Due to the uncertain nature of life in Starfleet, his colleagues have often been transferred, reassigned, or given greater responsibility. Throughout his career, however, Shayne has remained steadfastly behind the helm, as is his preference.
The third generation of a Starfleet family, Shayne has, perhaps stereotypically, always desired to be an officer. After an eventful training history, he moved onto his first vessel, and from there, he found himself propelled into the stars and the treasures of knowledge beyond.
- 1 Basic Stats
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Family and Friends.
- 5 Acquaintances.
- 6 Personal History
- 7 History of Status
- 8 Awards & Service Ribbons
- 9 Promotion History
- 10 The Shayne Maneuver
- 11 Diploma
- 12 Notable Sims
- Full Name: Randal Shayne
- Preferred designation: Shayne
- Race: Terran
- Born: 236602.20
- Place of Birth: Chicago, Earth (Sol III)
- System of Origin: Sol System
- Age: 28
- Gender: Male
- Starfleet Serial Number: EG- 166-768
- Height: 5'11
- Hair: Brown
- Length of Hair: Shoulder-length pony tail.
- Facial Hair: Clean-shaven
- Eyes: Brown
- Skin: Caucasian.
- Tattoos/Body Modifications: None
- Arms: Average length, with tanned forearms and decent musculature.
- Legs: Decent musculature- nothing too impressive.
- Weight: 121 kg
- Scars/Body Marks: Small birthmark on lift-front of neck, deep scar on left foreleg, multiple scars on hands and arms, perpetual burn on back of left hand.
- Build: Heavyset, muscular, but far from buff.
- Preferred Hand: Right.
- Carriage.: Practiced steadiness.
- Taste in dress: Prefers to wear his uniform at almost all times. On the rare occasion that he does don something more informal, he prefers either the utilitarian simplicity of a t-shirt and jeans, or, during meditation, wears thick, heavy robes that seem to envelop him.
- Shoes: Starfleet- issue boots, or meditation slippers.
For as long as anyone has known him, Shayne has exhibited the classic signs of an anxiety disorder. As a result, he is generally introverted, quiet, and unobtrusive, especially when it comes to crowded or foreign environments. Panic attacks have struck him without warning in the past, but he rarely seeks out counseling. Guilt and bouts of depression are common symptoms as well. Despite these problems, he is committed to Starfleet and the Federation, seeking to help both anyway he can. Additionally, when lives are on the line, he is able to, at least temporarily, suppress his fear in regard of his duty.
He is also an extremely sensitive person, sometimes bordering on nearly empathic. The moods and feelings of those around him greatly influence his own, despite his best efforts. He actively looks to improve people's feelings and moods however he can. Most times he is hard-pressed to produce a smile, but when someone is emotionally disturbed, nothing short of divine intervention will keep him from helping them.
Anger is another mostly unseen emotion, only present when his convictions are tested, or when his crew, his starship or his loved ones are threatened. Or when he hasn't had his coffee.
- Temperment: Shayne might be an internal maelstrom of self-doubt and anxiety, but years of experience with both have allowed him to create a shell of calm around those sensations. When not in the midst of a stress-provoking attack, he is subtle, easy to work with, and generally an all-around friendly guy. The shell is a modification of this persona. Peace, clarity and control are emphasized when he is in this state of mind. As a result, many do not realize he is having an anxiety attack at all. This comes in handy in situations where he is some sort of leader. While these occurrences are still rather infrequent, Shayne subtly dreads the day that he will be asked to take on greater responsibility. Quick with a joke or a witty retort, he might not be the life of the party, but he is far from dull.
- Quarters: Sharing quarters for most of his Starfleet career has taught him the value of organization. His barracks at the Academy, as well as the quarters he now shares with his significant other, Isabel Pond, are relatively neat, with just enough mess to be "lived-in". His habit of meditation lead him to prefer softer, less harsh colors in the room. Souvenirs and personal effects, including his service medals and patch collection, line the wall. Shayne hopes to add many more objects to the wall in time.
- Habits: Many of Shayne's habits are a result of his debilitative anxiety. Fingernails are picked and chewed with abandon, often resulting in their bleeding. A slight stutter can be heard when he is unprepared to speak, and when entering a strange environment, he attempts to locate the exits. Additionally, to help stave off his persistent anxiety, Shayne meditates regularly, using Vulcan disciplines picked up during his time on the campus of Starfleet Academy.
- Hobbies and Pastimes: Shayne enjoys writing fiction, especially stories based at least partially on his own adventures in Starfleet. He also likes creating holographic programs, although he is never quite satisfied with his work. Literature, both from Earth and other Federation members, are also an interest of his. Additionally, he collects souvenirs from his travels, and is an avid patch collector. He focuses mainly on the patches of early space missions from Earth's first exploratory periods, and Starfleet assignment patches. Copies of important Federation documents are visible around the space. A flute is his instrument of choice.
- Favorite Food: Raspberries. It's an obsession.
- Goals: While he'd like to have his own ship one day, he is more than content to remain in his current position for the time being, doing the most good where it's most needed. Helping as many people as possible before he dies is his lifelong ambition.
Family and Friends.
Click Picture to Expand.
|Eric Shayne - Father
A retired Starfleet admiral himself, Eric has always had a strong bond with both of his sons. There is an implicit trust present, and though that might be expected for a father and son, events that have transpired between them have made them realize just how fragile a relationship can be. Regardless of the problems Eric and Randal have had, nothing could ever cause them to stop caring about one another.
Eric's concern for his son nearly prevented him from supporting Randal's admission into the Academy. Being a retired admiral, he understood the trials and dangers that lay with a career in Starfleet. But they shared a common dream of the stars, and Randal wouldn't have it any other way. In a sense, the service was an escape for both men.
Eric now works for a civilian-based institution working to create non-lethal weaponry for implementation on board Starfleet vessels, instillations and personnel. In his free time, he has begun recording his exploits and experiences in a historical anthology.
|Heidi Shayne -Mother
Heidi served as the chief medical officer of Starbase 912 for Eric's entire command. Originally an occupational therapist, her extreme competence and dedication earned her a position as CMO of the massive Starfleet instillation. With the change in position came the chance to expand her horizons and her practice. After years of hard work, she received her Ph.D in Psychology and Medicine. From there, the sky was the limit. Her experimental work regarding the Telurian Plague was instrumental in eventually finding a cure, although she never deigned to boast about the noteworthy achievement. Retiring later than her husband, she now resides with him on Earth, and is the co-author of Eric's historical book.
|Zachary Shayne -Brother
Unlike the rest of his family, Zak didn't desire to go to the stars. Surrounded by those who did, he gained a healthy appreciation for the ether. He is a well-known artist, recognized for his talents in creating subtle statements within blazing colors, and for integrating alien art forms into his work. A happy-go-lucky attitude and a ready smile are almost always present, and, unlike his older, more reclusive brother, is known as a social butterfly.
The brothers share a puzzling relationship. Zak is always overjoyed to see Randal. However, regardless of the circumstances, Randal is consistently embarrassed to with Zak. Randal never speaks of his brother, and has never discussed him outside of the strictest confidence. A terrible incident during their childhood is suspected by many people to be the cause of their problems, but neither Shayne will confirm it, something Randal is inexplicably grateful for. Both silently live for the day that Randal can forgive himself for the trespasses of the past.
Friendships developing between comrades is a common occurrence. But it is rare to find a pair of friends quite so mismatched. Where Shayne is neurotic, timid, and had difficulty containing his negative feelings, Varaan maintains excellent control of himself, as is expected of his people. Their friendship may not have come to be if not for a long, confining shuttle trip to their new assignments. Since it began, their friendship has slowly evolved, and Shayne is looking forward to many years of service together.
|Isabel Pond - Signficant other
One thing that Shayne never considered he'd find was an intelligent, beautiful woman who was interested in him. Nevertheless, that's what he has been fortunate enough to locate, without even attempting to do so. A shuttlecraft accident landed Shayne in sickbay, where a slight...overdose of a sedative compound led him to start mumbling. Indeed, at first sight of his attending physician, he commented on her abundant beauty. Dancing and dating resulted, and love bloomed in no time. Currently, he and Isabel share quarters. To say that he is excited to see what their relationship will evolve into is an understatement of criminal proportions. She is a constant source of strength, and he loves her boundlessly.
Click Picture to Expand.
|Maxwell Traenor -Fellow Officer
|Christopher Lambert -Fellow Officer
Shayne welcomed Lambert aboard the vessel, along with everyone else. While Lambert is a proficient officer, he seems to have an unhealthy romantic fixation of Shayne's girlfriend, Isabel Pond. Shayne's overprotective and- where his loved ones are concerned, jealous- nature led him to angrily confront Lambert, and the situation has increased in severity ever since. It is unclear where this escalation will lead.
Shayne was born on Earth, but spent much of his childhood in space, specifically Starbase 912. His father and mother, both high-ranking station personnel, were often quite busy with the administration of the base, but made sure that they had time for him, something neither Randal nor his brother ever forgot. Zak was born 6 years after Shayne, and was considered far more normal, if slightly more troublesome. His parents taught him to accept other life forms and people even sooner than most parents, and brought him up to appreciate what the Federation provided and stood for. As a result, Shayne recognizes the Federation as one of the most astonishing organizations ever devised. Eric, their father, tried to maintain an active presence in their lives, but active duty aboard a starship during a time of war made things immensely difficult. Weeks or months sometimes past without word of his fate. As a result, Randal was beyond relieved to hear that his father would be taking command of the starbase. Despite his mother's wishes and his father's concerns, Randal attempted to join Starfleet at age 18, and was delighted to be accepted, despite his comparatively paltry mathematical skills.
Intent on helping people, Shayne enrolled in the pre-med program at Starfleet Medical. To his horror, the curriculum proved almost impossible to follow, and what he did understand made him sick to his stomach. It was almost too embarrassing to admit, but he was too squeamish for the work. At least, this is what he tells himself. While studying, he was ordered to temporarily supplement a medical division on the front lines. The terrible things witnessed there, he could handle, but he didn't want to have to do so again. He managed to stick it out for the first year before deciding to switch career paths, to something a little more conventional. Engineering had always been a pastime of his, and with an attitude of "What could go wrong?", Shayne entered the Engineering college of Starfleet.
During this longest part of his time enrolled in the Academy, Shayne had few friends. His behavior, while never out of line or dangerous, was termed as erratic by his councilor and instructors. Often finding unconventional solutions to problems posed in curriculum, Shayne excelled at classes such as temporal logic, problem solving and ethics, but often struggled with more concrete subjects like physics and mathematics, specifically subspace calculations. With this in mind, Shayne began to look at even more possible career choices.
Two years later, Shayne was poised to become a decent engineer, but an Academy instructor, and a certain groundskeeper, had noticed both his phenomenal reflexes and his decisive abilities in the field of command, and suggested that flight might be a more suitable. Against his better judgment, Shayne agreed, and found himself enrolled in the flight team. Several of the few friends he made over the Academy were members of the team. The sense of camaraderie among them was fantastic, and Shayne often wished he had joined earlier. An incident during a flying event nearly scrapped the team permanently, as it was not the first time the flight team of the Academy had been implicated. But the matter was closed, and no one on the team was punished. While it is not classified information, Shayne speaks of it somewhat reluctantly.
After graduation, he was assigned to his first starship, and he was on his way.
History of Status
Starfleet Academy Transcript
Starfleet Assessments and Records
Starfleet Medical History
Awards & Service Ribbons
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
|Cadet 4th Class||238808.08-238906.21||Starfleet Academy||Medical Cadet|
|Cadet 3rd Class||238908.08-239006.21||Starfleet Academy||Engineer|
|Cadet 2nd Class||239008.08-239106.21||Starfleet Academy||Engineer|
|Cadet 1st Class||239108.08-239106.21||Starfleet Academy||Helm Operations|
|Ensign||239202.03 - 239206.02||USS Gemini||HCO|
|Lieutenant JG||239206.02 - 239207.11||USS Gemini||HCO|
|Lieutenant JG||239207.11-239209.23||USS Apollo-A||HCO|
|Lieutenant JG||239209.23-239212.17||USS Triumphant||HCO|
|Lieutenant JG||239212.17-239302.10||USS Darwin-A||Helmsman|
The Shayne Maneuver
Fresh out of the Academy, Shayne was assigned to the Starship Gemini. Arriving during a crisis, the brand new ensign was required to take the helm of an unfamiliar ship at the worst of times. The Gemini was in pursuit of the rogue USS Spartan. The Spartan had started to attack vessels and instillations belonging to the Klingon Empire. While the Gemini was tracking the Spartan to deliver the Captain to authorities, a Klingon vessel, the IKS Su'wamh hunted the rogue vessel, intending to destroy it. Eventually both ships arrived near the Spartan, and a transporter tug-of-war began. The Gemini and the Su'wamh simultaneously activated transporters targeted at Captain Clarkson of the Spartan. Both were equally matched in power, and neither vessel was willing to let their captive go to the other side. The two transporter beams on Clarkson began to kill him. Still neither ship let go.
As both starships wrestled for control over the traitorous Clarkson, it became abundantly clear that one starship would need to release their quarry, or Clarkson would perish. That's when Shayne got a flash of inspiration. By sending a modified stream of antiprotons through the Gemini's angular confinement beam and then using Clarkson as a jump point, Shayne was able to lock onto the transporter room of the Su'wamh and literally rip it out of the ship. The explosive decompression that resulted from the violent removal of the transporter pad rendered the Su'wamh powerless as Clarkson was beamed aboard the Gemini, which then retreated to Federation space. The term "Shayne Maneuver" was coined by Engineer Konstava when Shayne explained exactly what he had done. Due the unconventional and dangerous nature of this strategy, it has not been tried again since.
Stardate 239202.24: Ensign Shayne: Confidence Afterglow
- Shayne attempts to explain his unorthodox strategy to the chief of engineering.
Stardate 239211.18: Lieutenant J.G Shayne: Decompression
- A recent mission to save a Talaxian colony has been carried out with lackluster results. Shayne must cope with the emotional blowback resulting from the affair.
Stardate 239208.16: Lieutenant Shayne: Not-Quite-Feelings
- Returning safely to port after a strenuous mission, Shayne attempts to explain his feelings to his father, for the first time in years.
|ANDARIS TASK FORCE|