Fleet Captain Quinn Reynolds is a psychologically scarred, socially awkward genius who is currently serving as the commanding officer of the USS Gorkon.
Originally trained as an engineer, she served in that capacity and as head of that department aboard the USS Triumphant and the USS Independence-A. After recruitment by Starfleet Intelligence, she served as chief of the Starfleet Intelligence division and First Officer aboard Starbase 118, then First Officer and later the Commanding Officer of the USS Eagle and Commanding Officer of the USS Drake. After a classified tour of duty with Starfleet Intelligence, she returned to the fleet as the Director of Intelligence aboard the USS Invicta, the successor to the USS Garuda and USS Mercury.
- Full Name: Quinn Erin Reynolds
- Species: Human/Deltan
- Date of Birth: 14th February
- Age: Late thirties
- Place of Birth: Columbia Hills, Mars.
- Gender: Female
- Telepathic status: T3 (NR)
- Height: 1.65m (5'5'')
- Build: Wirey, almost fragile.
- Hair Colour: Medium Brown.
- Length of Hair: Long, almost always tied back whether on or off duty.
- Eye Colour: Hazel.
- Skin Tone: Pale with a generous dusting of freckles.
- Birthmarks, Scars: A small, neat scar on her left temple, less than a centimetre in length. None others that are usually visible; a small, irregular lattice-work of faded scars across her upper back, a jagged scar on either side of her calf on her left leg, another jagged scar underneath her ribs on the right side of her torso, and two healed puncture wounds on her abdomen and chest.
- Tattoos/Body Modifications: Single piercing in each earlobe.
- Carriage: Flighty and quick, frequently with her head buried in a datapad.
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): Earth casual; e.g. jeans, comfortable trousers, loose shirts and t-shirts.
- Voice: Quiet and soft, touched by a faint Martian accent.
- Handedness: Left-handed.
Quinn lives in the world of theoretical possibilities. She exists primarily inside her own mind and has the ability to analyse difficult problems, identify patterns and come up with logical explanations. Almost everything is seen in terms of how it could be improved, or what it could be turned into. She seeks clarity in almost all aspects of her life and is driven to build knowledge. Her natural drive to turn theories into concrete understanding has resulted in a feeling of personal responsibility to solve problems and bring a greater awareness to her field.
She does not like to lead or control people and is very tolerant and flexible in most situations, unless one of her firmly held beliefs has been violated or challenged - in which case she may take a very rigid stance. She is very shy when it comes to meeting new people and avoids social situations as much as she can; though when around people she knows well, or when discussing concepts she fully understands, she is considerably more open and confident.
Quinn has little understanding or value for decisions made on the basis of personal subjectivity or feelings. She strives constantly to achieve logical conclusions to problems and doesn't understand the importance or relevance of applying subjective emotional considerations to decisions. For this reason, she is often not in tune with how people are feeling and is not well-equipped to meet the emotional needs of others. She often fails to realise the value of attending to other people's feelings and has difficulty giving the warmth and support that is sometimes necessary in intimate relationships.
Hobbies and Pastimes
- Academia: Never one to let her mind rest, Quinn is constantly working on some academic project in her spare time; be it a thesis, journal article or new technology design.
- Music: Quinn is an accomplished pianist, and enjoys playing in her spare time. Her piano of choice is the Bösendorfer Imperial.
- Gardening: While not as feasible on a starship, she enjoys gardening and has a sizeable garden in her home on Mars.
- Go: Picked up in the Academy, Quinn found she had a gift for the ancient tactical game, and has continued to play Go throughout the course of her career.
- Tennis: Another pastime from the Academy, though one she consistently fails to excel at, no matter how much she practices.
- Pool: A fan of physics and geometry, Quinn makes for a mean pool player and was known to shark the odd colleague during her assignment on Starbase 118.
Likes and Dislikes
- Flora: She has a particular fondness for plants of all varieties and enjoys visiting gardens and arboretums.
- Quiet Nights In: Although she is something of a loner, Quinn does enjoy spending a quiet evening with a friend.
- Technology: Definite and specific, Quinn finds the logical nature of technology reassuring. She also takes comfort in the fact that it is something she is capable of fixing, should it go wrong.
- Music: Mathematics and music have always had a close association, and it is one that she appreciates.
- Informal Address: On duty, Quinn prefers to be addressed by her rank and surname, rather than her given name. She also hates being called Miss.
- Social Situations: Possibly as far from a party animal as one can get, Quinn dislikes parties, official functions and any other social situation where there a significant numbers of people in attendance.
- Telepaths: Perhaps as a result of her insecurities, Quinn places a high value on her privacy. She feels distinctly uncomfortable around telepathic species due to their ability to violate that privacy, whether accidentally or deliberately.
- Water: Due to an unfortunate boating accident while on holiday, Quinn has been left with a strong phobia of bodies of water.
Ambitions and Goals
Quinn was never the most ambitious of Starfleet officers; throughout her career she had no desire to command a starship or facility and never dreamt of one day holding the rank of Admiral. As a result, her entrance into the command ranks came as some of a surprise and her goals are currently limited to keeping the people that are her responsibility safe and doing her job to the best of her ability. She is also striving to improve her own self-defence skills, after several incidents where they were found lacking.
In her personal life, she is trying to provide her adopted son Dylan Reynolds with the best upbringing she can provide.
Personal Achievements and Disappointments
Quinn has a somewhat unusual relationship with her personal achievements; despite being the holder of multiple PhDs and several years of Research and Design experience at Utopia Planitia shipyards, she does not view these as particularly great accomplishments. Rather, they were something she was expected to achieve - well within her abilities - and so she tends brush off any attention regarding them, which can be interpreted as arrogance. She is genuinely proud of is her acceptance to and graduation from Starfleet Academy, as she found the theoretical work easy, but many other aspects of the Academy's curriculum were a struggle to Quinn and she had to work hard to pass them.
She found her assignment to Starfleet Intelligence a struggle, and while she shone in the analytical work that she carried out, Quinn found field work much more difficult and was disappointed with her performance in that area. To her continuing surprise, command seems to come a little more easily and she was tentatively proud of her accomplishments as a First Officer and Captain, though her time in the captain's chair came to an abrupt end when she was faced with the decision all captains dread, and hard to order someone close to their death.
Quinn's quarters are simply and sparsely decorated, plain and neutral in colour, with standard-issue furnishing. There is, however, an abundance of plants, both mundane and exotic, and a variety of technically accurate starship models, including the USS Triumphant, Starbase 118, the USS Drake and the USS Mercury. Evidence of her two children is often in clear view, with toys and accessories spread across the rooms.
- Full Article: Relationships
Dysfunctional is the best term to describe Quinn's family; her biological father has been conspicuously absent since before she was born, her mother passed away in a mental institution and her siblings do their best not to acknowledge her. She has a close relationship with her adoptive father, whom she has frequently turned to for advice and assistance in raising her own children.
Her private, aloof nature means that she is often slow to form a friendship, but those few friends are treasured and the relationships long-lasting, often spanning almost the whole length of her Starfleet career. She is somewhat less successful in her love life, and her rare romantic endeavours have so far always reached an abrupt end.
- Marital Status: Single.
- Number of children: Two
She displayed a remarkable intellect at an extremely young age; she was gently encouraged by her adoptive father and forcibly pushed by her maternal grandparents into fully exploring her potential. As a direct result, she applied and was accepted by the Daystrom Institute of Technology at the tender age of ten. There, she studied a Bachelor of Science degree in Physics, but growing up on Mars near the Utopia Planitia facility had instilled a love of starships into the girl, and it was in this direction that Quinn chose to channel her genius. Though she found the life of an academic and researcher fulfilling, Quinn felt she had been shoehorned into the role and wished to try something she would actually find challenging; eventually realising this dream by securing herself a place at Starfleet Academy.
Starfleet Assessments and Records
- Full Article: Personnel File
Quinn's time at the Academy was unremarkable; over-achieving in all classical academic aspects and under-achieving in just about everything else, she managed to graduate squarely in the middle of her class. Her first assignment, much to her distress, was to the Defiant class starship, the USS Triumphant. There she served in the engineering department, eventually finishing her tour of duty as a Lieutenant and the Chief of Engineering.
Following the reassignment of the the Triumphant and her crew, Quinn was posted to the USS Independence as its Chief Engineer. After a roller-coaster time, both professionally and personally, she requested a transfer to a new duty post and was snapped up by Starfleet Intelligence and posted to Starbase 118. After an classified incident aboard the base, she was transferred to the USS Eagle as the ship's First Officer and later took command of the vessel, a promotion to captain following thereafter. When the Eagle was decommissioned, she was reassigned as the commanding officer of the USS Drake.
Her time as a commanding officer came to an end following a classified mission — which, while successful, resulted in significant loss of life among her crew. She returned to the Intelligence fold, and was later posted at the Director of Intelligence for the Menthar Corridor, working from the USS Mercury, USS Garuda and currently, the USS Invicta.
Decorations & Commendations
- Full Article: Decorations and Commendations
A highly decorated officer, Quinn has a legion of service ribbons and medals attached to her name. They are kept tucked away in a drawer, rarely seen. Her work in engineering, physics and cryptology have won her several awards, both as her time as a civilian and later as a Starfleet officer.
Quinn has not decorated her ready room with much in the way of personal items; in fact, the only personal touches are a terrarium in one corner that contains a simulated Martian environment, complete with miniature dust storms; and several potted plants, including an African violet. She operates a closed door policy and any visitors must request access by ringing the door chime. The door is locked at all times when she is elsewhere on the ship.
|NPC Listing · USS Gorkon Crew Manifest · Crew History