|Riel, Lan Rennan|
|Birthplace||Jarkana, Darona, Beta Zeta System|
Lieutenant Commander Lan Riel is currently serving as an Intelligence Officer aboard the USS Athena.
- Height: 1m88 / 6'2"
- Weight: 77kg / 170lbs
- Build: Wiry
- Face: Gaunt-ish
- Hair: Brown, crew cut, disciplined with hair gel
- Eyes: Betazoid black, roundish-almond, deep set
- Birthmarks and scars: Cauliflower ear (left, courtesy of his first encounter with k'Tah)
- Voice: Baritone
- Handedness: Right-handed
- Clothing: In spite of the unwritten tolerance concerning counselor's attire, Lan sticks to regulation Starfleet Medical uniforms and combat boots while on duty. Tired of being thrown around the bridge like an extra in an old holovid show whenever the ship was damaged, he has tried wearing magnetic boots for a while, but ended up deciding that having his body thrown one way while his feet stayed firmly in place was even worse.
Out of duty, he adopts a conservative-casual style, with a fondness for gey or black high-collared shirts, and leather oxfords.
He wears a lozenge-shaped crystal pendant representing the Four Deities tucked under his clothes, whether in or out of uniform.
- Body language: While on bridge duty, Lan maintains a composed and by-the-book attitude, standing straight with his feet slightly apart and his hands clasped behind his back.
During counseling sessions, he tends to lean forward towards his interlocutor, and steeple his hands in front of his mouth when he listens with attention; sometimes he forgets to remove them from this position when he speaks, making him somewhat inaudible.
- Quarters: Tidy and sober, feature a betazoid chime, two tassas (one of which he often stores in his office), some books (cooking, art, fiction and academic topics). No personal picture on display.
- Favorite Room: Arboretum, Observation Lounges or Gymnasium. On Starbase 118: 8x8 or Subspace Cafe.
- Habits: Meditates in private at least once a day.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Silent Path. Keeps his devotions mostly private, prays silently before meals, when waking up and before going to sleep.
- Hobbies and Pastimes: Martial arts (kata only), small talk, playing chess or cards against other mind readers, cooking, hiking.
- Likes: Caffeinated beverages (double or triple strong coffee, raktajino), likes music (Betazoid, Tao-classical, Andorian blues, Earth 20th century punk rock).
- Dislikes: Vulcan mocha (with a passion), holodeck sims, most subspecies of cats, physical violence, lifts.
- Ambitions and Goals: Has joined Starfleet in hope of preventing a new equivalent of the Dominion invasion. At the time of his posting on the USS Apollo-A, has begun to consider a career in Command.
- Achievements in Life: So far, graduating from Starfleet Academy.
- Disappointments in Life: Himself, during most of his childhood.
- Temperament: Introvert, analytic, honest to the point of bluntness. Practices deadpan humour (sometimes as a means of defense). Tends to align on his interlocutor’s mood and temper due to unchecked empathy.
- Mental problems (complexes and phobias):
- While growing up, he often felt that he was disappointing (read: betraying) his parents by not living up to his predestinations. Since then, he feels compelled to prove his usefulness constantly.
- Afraid of rejection due to common prejudice against mind-readers.
- Physical Limitations: Reacts poorly to alcohol (even synthehol). Has switched to coffee as a social lubricant and developed a mild addiction.
- Mental Limitations: Poor sense of direction.
Telepathy and Empathy
Lan has a telepathic and empathic rating of T4/E4). He's a natural telepath raised in a very traditionalist Betazoid household. As a result, he tends to remain quiet instead of voicing his thoughts, and would actually have trouble holding a spoken conversation in Betazoid.
- Telepathic/Empathic Limitations: : Empathy gating dysfunction condition. Lan has difficulties screening out the emotions coming from other people’s minds. While it takes only a minor effort from his part to shield his mind in a controlled and professional environment where people keep the worst of their emotions in check, it can become a major problem in situations where he is confronted to violent emotions and/or cannot afford to divert a fraction of his focus to blocking outside influences. To ward against this, he likes to have an emergency supply of psilocynine inhibitors ready at hand.
- Manta Riel and Algar Riel ne Ailes
Lan's parents are both merchants, powerful empaths and telepaths and devout Silent Way practitioners, traditionalists to the point that Lan can't remember having heard their voice more than a handful of times. Lan is their only child, and had been predestined to be a worthy heir for them, which he started to demonstrate when developing his powers at an early age. The discovery of his disability has hit them hard, and they have always considered it as an ordeal sent to test their worth. This resulted in a somewhat stricter training regimen than usual for Lan. In the long term, this stern treatment helped him master his abilities and adjust to everyday life, but of course the young Lan begged to differ. Later in life, Lan strayed further from his predestinations, to the point of joining Starfleet. This soured the relationship between the Riels, and during his last visit on Darona, Lan's mother bid him farewell vocally instead of using telepathy, something that she had only done in the past in the few occasions when she had to interact with aliens.
- Annella Hestol
Lan's genetic bondmate, daughter of one of his parent's closest friends and trading partners. Lan and her have always had a chemistry, are good friends and write each other often, but have yet to develop any romantic feeling. She is now an associate in her parent's business, and fears their rejection if her genetic bonding with Lan doesn't lead to a marriage as expected. In this respect, she sees Lan's decision to join Starfleet as pure egoism, and their relationship has grown notably colder with Lan's wirtual disowning.
- Ania and Barim Ailes
Lan's cousin on his father's side. The three kids grew up together, Ania being two years older than the two boys. Barim is now the captain of a freighter ship, the Flanarian, while Ania works as an agricultural engineer offworld. They are the last remaining contact Lan still has with his family.
- First Lieutenant k'taH, Starfleet Marine Corps
Lan's best friend outside of his family, and former romantic interest. Their relationship has been rather rocky at the start, with the two of them sending each other to infirmary during a sparring match, but they have overcome their differences later on, to the point of becoming physically intimate during their academy years. They have since maintained a cordial, if rather turbulent friendship.
- Lieutenant Junior Grade Loleh Rejock
Lan and Loleh literally bumped into each other during Lan's first day on the USS-Gemini, and have enjoyed a real chemistry even since. Both enjoyed each other's presence and sense of humour, which helped them greatly since their dates were almost systematically interrupted by catastrophic events of system-wide magnitude.
- 236713.04: Birth in Jarkana, capital of the Darona colony, Beta Zeta system.
- 237004.18: Genetic bonding with Annella Hestol.
- 2374-75: Invasion of Betazed by the Dominion.
- 238508.02: Fails Starfleet Academy entrance exam.
- 238608.03: After enrolling in StarFleet Academy Preparatory Program, passes the entrance exam and joins Starfleet Academy (Betazed campus).
- 239107.07: Completes his Cadet Course at Starbase 118.
|Cadet First Class||239107.07||Graduated Starfleet Academy||Counselor/Intelligence|
|Ensign||239107.09 - 239110.08||USS Gemini||Counselor|
|Lieutenant JG||239110.08 - 239202.28||USS Gemini||Counselor|
|Lieutenant||239202.28 - 239207.13||USS Gemini||Counselor|
|Lieutenant||239207.13 - 239212.20||USS Apollo-A||Counselor|
|Lieutenant Commander||239212.20 - 239302.15||USS Apollo-A||Counselor|
|Lieutenant Commander||239302.15 - Present||USS Doyle-A||Intelligence Officer|
Awards & Service Ribbons
|Awards and Service Ribbons|
|NPC Listing · USS Athena Crew Manifest · Crew History