Commander Kael Mason Thomas is currently assigned as Chief Engineer aboard the USS Darwin-A .
- Height: 6‘1
- Weight: 208 lb
- Hair Color: Dark Brown
- Length of Hair: Short
- Eye Color: Brown
- Skin Tone: Tanned Caucasian
- Birthmarks, Scars: None
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): Loose fitting shirt or polo and Jeans.
- Commander Thomas, is currently serving aboard the USS Darwin-A. Kael has been a Starfleet officer for over 10 years and an Engineer for most of that. Kael recently served on the USS Vigilant which he thoroughly enjoyed and allowed him to develop as an officer and as a person. Being given the chance to split from the Vigilant with a few other officers to serve as Commander Reinard’s First Officer was a great honour for Kael. With a fleet restructure Kael once again found himself as First Officer aboard the USS Darwin with a little more experience under his belt.
- PastimeSpends very little time Idle. When not performing his duties as First Officer he is often in the Holodeck or in the ships Gym seeking to keep himself physically active. Kael will often find companionships through a common interest in sports or physical hobbies.
- Quarters: Located on Deck 6 Kael tends to keep them pretty minimal. With a photo of his family. Kael intends on changing that in the future, to resemble something a little more like home.
- Habits: Has a habit of expecting perfection. He expects that if you say you can do something you can.
- Presence: Kael gets on well with people, when he shares a common goal, or interest. Kael often finds it difficult to initiate conversations, but is working hard to change that. Kael is open to the new challenges and being a First Officer will present him with this.
- Temperament: To the point. Kael doesn't really beat around the bush. While he understands tact, if a job has to be done, and it involves speaking the truth he's got no problem doing it. Kael tends to be an introvert while not on duty. He's approachable and friendly despite generally preferring his own company. Kael strives to do the right thing by everyone and has a strong sense of social justice.
- Physical Limitations: He cannot put his leg behind his head.
- Non-Replicated Food
- The Piano. Something Kael usually keeps private and something he never really has time for today. Kael finds playing the Piano a great relaxer.
- He has always enjoyed sports, and has always found doing his job much easier if he is in peak physical condition. During times off in missions, Kael will find himself quite often in the gym, or playing hologames.
- White Water Rafting - Something he likes to do on Earth, or in the Holodeck where possible. Always, upping the difficulty ever so slightly each time.
- Keeping up to date with Starfleet Engineering Journals. Kael is in fact looking to post his own journal in the near future. He is currently working on a theory to negate the effects that Subspace Damage has on the warp drive.
- Dislikes: Talking about problems. Kael never had any belief that you needed to talk to a counsellor to sort out what life has dealt you. Kael felt learning to deal with your problems you own way and with the support of close friends was far more beneficial. This has changed somewhat over the years but not dramatically. Kael still tends to find talking on an official level unnecessary and awkward.
- Favorite Room: Engineering/Gymnasium/Music Room
|"At the Gym||"Casual off duty|
- Ambitions and Goals: Kael would ultimately like to Captain his own vessel. He acknowledges he has a lot to learn but he’s not afraid of a challenge.
- Achievements in Life: Becoming Chief Engineer on the Ursa Major, a sovereign class vessel was a major milestone for Kael, his recent posting as First Officer aboard the USS Darwin-A has really topped everything.
- Disappointments in Life: Not having much of a personal life. Poor relation
- Mother: Jolaina Thomas, Administration Officer for Romulan Affairs
- Father: Reynold Thomas, former Personal Assistant to Chief Operations Earth
- Siblings: Anthony Thomas, Chief Tactical Officer USS FAIRFAX
Kael Mason Thomas was born on 19th November 2356 and 2 Minutes after Kael’s birth his twin brother Anthony was born. Their family home was situated on sizeable piece of land populated with an orchard and large open spaces. It was a close fitting house contrasting with their property and only just accommodating his family. His mother and father both working in Starfleet administration chose to lead a home life that was a little less like their work. Their home having as much traditional equipment as they could afford to have Kael and his brother learnt early on, the value in hard work. With their family home situated on some farmland it was regular duty for Kael to work milking cows, moving their few cattle, feeding the various other animals and fixing anything that broke down.
Kael’s parents both worked in Starfleet Administration in varying roles. While not officers, you could probably say that Kael grew up with a moderate knowledge of what it was like to work in Starfleet. Kael and his younger brother Anthony both spent a lot of time running around their parents feet while at work, silently pushing buttons when buttons weren’t meant to be pushed.
Spending almost all his youth with his younger brother the pair grew such an impenetrable relationship that many simply thought they were best friends. They were both very competitive, always trying to outdo each other, often putting each other in danger. Kael nor Anthony had any real choices with what they wanted to do with their lives. Their parents always had more time for their work then they had for them. Their parents often work well into the night or leaving to visit Romulus or some other planet. Having been raised with Starfleet parents they were pretty much enrolled into the academy at birth. Kael and Anthony were both very physical boys and both very frequently found the boredom of sitting in class very difficult.
Kael graduated with Distinctions from the academy and despite such an achievement his parents were still too busy working to attend their sons Graduation ceremony. It was that night that Kael had a tremendous fight with his parents basically telling them as far as he was concerned he didn’t need parents. It was just another nail in the coffin for Kael in regard to his parents considering their career is more important than their family.
Kael and Anthony received assignments to different vessels not long after graduation. Kael was given an assignment as an engineering officer aboard the USS Victory and Anthony was sent off to the USS IRISH a nova class vessel. Both have been in regular contact, Kael even taking some time off active duty to spend with his brother. Anthony still speaks to his parents where years have passed and Kael has barely spoken a word to them.
Kael's older and only brother Anthony is currently serving on the USS FAIRFAX. Serving as Chief Tactical Officer. Anthony is more like a best mate to Kael then brothers. They are very close, and often communicate with each other.
Since the onset of Kael’s father Dementia, he finds it hard to get back home. Some bridges were mended with Kael’s mother after the accident but they are not close. Kael supports his mother in any way to look after his father but knows he would be incapable of looking after him like she does.
Kael entered Starfleet’s advanced engineering division after graduating from the Academy in 238010.12. Kael while there chose his sub majoring thesis as Bio-Neural Gelpacks. This was the leading factor to his Post on the USS Victory. On the advice of his parents, Kael also majored in Operations, in order to make himself much more valuable to potential Commanding Officers. His lecturers were either fond of Kael, or frustrated by his constant need to question why something was. Kael had a difficult time working with rules and boundaries that seemed poorly justified. Regardless, Kael graduated well, in the top third of his class, and losing out to his brother.
The USS Victory was Kael's first posting and was posted aboard on 238010.15 as an Engineering Officer. While on the ship he worked in many departments, for a time was Acting CEO and during the remainder of his time there he was a security officer.
When Victory’s first officer, was given command of her own ship, Kael and several of his other crew members were transferred to the USS Aurora, a Nova class science vessel. Kael’s immediate posting was that of Chief Operations officer. During his time on the Aurora, Kael received the Voyager Medallion award. A great award as it honours him with excellence in starship operations. It was during this time that Captain Parker, his CO fell dangerously ill, and despite the best efforts of the crew, and Starbase doctors, passed away. It was a difficult time for Kael and the rest of the Aurora crew.
With their CO no longer in command, Starfleet brought in one of the most experienced men in the fleet. Vice Admiral Hollis, long serving officer and respected amongst the fleet. He took over command of the crew, and their new ship; USS Ursa Major a Sovereign class vessel, one of the most advanced in the fleet.
Kael spent several months aboard the Ursa Major, before taking some time off, to be with his family. Kael’s father was poisoned while on an Academic away mission. He failed to receive proper treatment in time, and has since developed a serious case of dementia. Doctors on Earth were unable to repair the damage to his brain and as such, his Mother has been forced to care for him, while trying to hold down a job.
He was then reassigned back to the Ursa Major, mid mission, to only then be reassigned again to the USS Tiger.
After serving a short time on the tiger, Kael was once again re-assigned to the USS Ronin. A family emergency brought Kael away from the Starfleet career he held so dear to be with them. Kael then returned to the USS Mercury. He served there for several months, and even managed to get kidnapped during an away mission. His time there earned him a promotion back up the ladder to Lieutenant JG.
Transferring to the USS Vigilant for it's maiden voyage, Kael was offered the role of Chief Engineer. After 12 months on the Vigilant Kael forged some strong friendships and cemented himself as a valuable member of the crew. On the day of his Promotion to Lieutenant Commander, Captain Diego Herrera handed him his transfer papers to the USS Darwin-A as first officer to Commander Greir Reinard. Kael was a little taken back and shocked at first, but he took it as a challenge and just another stage in his career.
After 7 months aboard the USS Darwin-A Kael was reassigned back to Engineering, aboard the USS Columbia. While Kael is still adjusting to this move, the hardest part has been starting a new with relationships. He had formed strong relationships with those on the Darwin, and to then have to start all over again on the Columbia just felt like too much effort. This time around, Kael is going to wait and see how stable things become, before he invests anything.
Being recalled back to a relaunched USS Darwin-A has been bittersweet for Kael. While he was no longer First Officer initially, his fortunes changed. With the First Officer having to take leave Kael was given another fortunate opportunity to serve on the USS Darwin-A as First Officer. With the future looking bright for Kael it has been hard to wipe the grin off of his face.
|Ensign||238010.12 - 238108.18||USS Victory||Engineer|
|Lieutenant j.g.||238108.18 - 238202.23||Chief Engineer|
|Lieutenant||238202.23 - 238204.26||Security Officer|
|238204.26 - 238205.29|
|238205.29 - 238212.18||USS Aurora||Chief of Operations|
|Lt Commander||238212.18 - 238301.12|
|238301.12 - 238303.13||USS Ursa Major||Chief Engineer|
|238311.22 - 238312.22||Deep Space 17||Engineer|
|238504.23 - 238505.04||USS Ursa Major|
|238505.04 - 238510.21||USS Tiger||Chief Engineer|
|Ensign||238909.11 - 238911.22||USS Mercury||Engineer|
|Lieutenant j.g.||238911.22 - 238912.10|
|238912.10 - 239001.06||USS Vigilant|
|239001.06 - 239002.18||Chief Engineer|
|Lieutenant||239002.18 - 239012.28|
|Lt Commander||239012.28 - 239107.13||USS Darwin-A||First Officer|
|239107.13 - 239202.23||USS Columbia||Chief Engineer|
|239202.23 - 239204.19||USS Darwin-A|
|239204.18 - 239207.12||First Officer|
|239207.12 - 239209.07||Acting Captain|
|239209.07 - 239209.22||First Officer|
|Commander||239209.22 - 239212.07|
|239212.07 - Current||Chief Engineer|
- Aboard the Vigilant Kael developed a strong friendship with Dueld. Originally Dueld was under his command in Engineering, but later moved onto Operations. Often during their year on the Vigilant did they collaborate and work together. Dueld is a dependable friend and has no problem telling Kael what is what, while also knowing when Kael needs to hear something. Kael was sorry to leave the Vigilant and his friend.
- Since becoming the First Officer on the Vigilant Kael had started to learn to trust the former Counsellor. Under the arrangement on the Vigilant, Kael was sure they would have become friends. Since being asked to be his First Officer on the Darwin Kael was sure at the very least a solid professional relationship would be built.
- James was the Chief Engineering on the Darwin when it first launched. With Kael being first officer, it was often at times difficult to let someone else run the Engineering of ship he was on. However, James allowed him his little intrusions into Engineering and tolerated the occasional sticky beaking. Kael was able to mentor and guide James to be a great Chief Engineer, who then went onto be a First Officer. Kael hopes to keep in contact with James, despite being one different ships.
Career Awards and Ribbons
- Mums the word - (Vigilant: 239011.23 - Kael and his Mum)
- Changes - (Vigilant: 239012.29 - The announcement of becoming FO of Darwin)
- Core Relationship - (Vigilant: 239012.29 - Parting words with Dueld and Kael)
- The Future - (Darwin: 239102.02 - Mission wrap up, and approved adoption of Romulan boy Galen by PNPC Ensign Graham Block - Part 1)
- The Future - (Darwin: 239102.02 - Mission wrap up, and approved adoption of Romulan boy Galen by PNPC Ensign Graham Block - Part 2)
- Alone - (Darwin: 239102:15 - Complex nature of Kael's family)
- Goodbye - (Darwin: 239107.14 - End of an Era, and the start of James's. )
|ANDARIS TASK FORCE|