|Birthplace||Rania, Duronis II|
Lieutenant Iniko Mpeba, a Laudean, is currently an engineer aboard the USS Darwin-A.
- Full Name: Iniko Mpeba
- Current Rank: Lieutenant
- Race: Laudean
- Date of Birth: 236604.07
- Place of Birth: Rania, Duronis II
- Gender: Lomale
- Telepathic status: T0 (None)
- Height: 5'11"
- Weight: 180lbs
- Hair Color: Black
- Eye Color: Yellow
- Temperament: Friendly and outgoing, but often awkward. Jhe has a bit of a temper and changes moods very easily, and tends to be dramatic.
- Quarters: Initially mostly empty, when Iniko went back to Duronis II for jheas father's funeral, jhe managed to bring back some of jheas things. Jhe has a number of potted plants, some old robots and gadgets jhe built when jhe was small, and photos of jheas friends. Jhe does not keep any family photos on display.
- Favorite Room: Arboretum. Jhe misses the outdoors, having grown up in a remote forest.
- Habits: During missions has a tendency to reconfigure every system, occasionally resulting in the whole thing being much less efficient than it was originally.
- Hobbies and Pastimes: Breaking things and putting them back together. Jhe likes to play with mechanical puzzles. Jhe practices a Laudean sport similar to parkour called na’agba. Reads a lot of engineering journals, but also enjoys reading mysteries.
- Likes: Long hot showers
- Dislikes: Not a fan of seafood, or anything that moves while you eat it. Jhe is very uncomfortable with babies and children, although jhe likes them from a distance. Jhe isn't fond of doctors, especially when they prod at jheas brain.
- Favorite Food: Banh Mi. It reminds jhea of a the sandwiches jhe ate as a child, but jhe really likes the addition of cilantro.
- Preferred Drink: Bryque Province Coffee
- Fears: Romulans, relationships
- Ambitions and Goals: Jheas long-term goal has been to become a starfleet engineer. Jhe is at a bit of a loss as to what to do with jheaself now, so jhe just takes things as they come.
- Achievements in Life: Escaping jheas destiny in order to live jheas life the way jhe wanted.
- Disappointments in Life: Jhe has a very bad relationship with jheas mother, and has been unable to figure out how to repair it.
Gender and Prefered Pronouns
Laudeans have three genders, male, female and lomale. Iniko is a Laudean lomale. Since there is no equivalent in Federation Standard, jhe prefers to use the Laudean language pronouns. If Federation Standard is required, jhe prefers to use the singular they.
|Reference table for pronouns|
|He||He laughed||I called him||His eyes gleam||That is his||He likes himself|
|She||She laughed||I called her||Her eyes gleam||That is hers||She likes herself|
|It||It laughed||I called it||Its eyes gleam||That is its||It likes itself|
|They||They laughed||I called them||Their eyes gleam||That is theirs||They like themselves|
|Gender Neutral Pronouns|
|Jhe||Jhe laughed||I called jhea||Jheas eyes gleam||That is jheas||Jhe likes jheaself|
|Gender Neutral Titles|
|Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms:||Mx Mpeba||(Tip: Mx is used irregardless of martial status.)|
- Spouse: None
- Children: Debatable
- Father: Akinade Mpeba - Iniko's father was always obsessed with the business that he inherited from his father. His father was a natural businessman and built a thriving medical supply company, but he himself was not so adept. He threw himself into it with enthusiasm, though, and managed to keep it afloat until his death in 2392. Because of his single-mindedness, he was not so affected by Chioma’s radicalization.
- Mother: Chioma Mpeba - Iniko and Chioma have been at odds for a very long time, and Iniko didn't speak to jheas mother for 8 years after running away from the coven. They are still not on comfortable terms with each other, although spending six months putting Iniko's fathers affairs in order after his death has made their differences feel a little more manageable.
- Lomale: Sawat Chalor - Lomale parents typically have very little to do with their genetic offspring, and Sawat initially recoiled from the idea of having anything to do with Iniko. Recently, though, Sawat reached out to Iniko, and has been guiding jhea in the use of jheas fielding abilities. They are very slowly building some sort of relationship.
- Siblings: Effiom Mpeba (brother) - Effiom is four years older than Iniko, and moved away to one of the major cities in Rania to study medicine shortly after the Laudeans became warp capable. He has since graduated from medical school, and has a practice in Lokesh City. He and Iniko have remained close friends, even while jhe has avoided contact with the rest of jheas family.
Iniko's family comes from the forests in the northern part of Rania, on Duronis II. Jheas childhood was fairly carefree, and involved a lot of playing in the forest and messing around with the family’s electronics. Rania is a fairly scientifically focused and socially liberal. While jheas parents were more conservative that most of jheas neighbors, it was never much of a point of contention.
Just before jheas 13th birthday, however, the world changed. Laudeans established warp capability, and began encountering many alien races. While many had embraced these discoveries, Iniko’s mother, Chioma, was less excited. Terrified that these aliens would change their entire way of life, she was been one of the many who turned to the most traditional elements of the Fielding League for hope. She became fervently religious and has spent the rest of Iniko's life trying to mold jhea into a dutiful lomale. She joined the one remaining coven in Rania, Shaphire, and separated herself from much of the rest of mainstream society, dragging Iniko along with her. Jheas brother, Effiom, was old enough to leave for university at this time, and managed to escape Chioma’s radicalization.
Iniko was fascinated by the new technology being developed and imported, and desperately wanted to study all of it. Jhe studied physics and engineering in school, secretly, and experimented with building jheas own prototypes while hiding in jheas room. Chioma, on the other hand, wanted Iniko to follow what she believed was the proper path for a lomale.
Lomales have always been rare, although not typically so rare as they are now, and as they are necessary for reproduction, they are seen as having a duty to the rest of society. In much of Laudean society, either lomales contract out their services to hopeful couples, or the government keeps a database and refers couples to available lomales based on their preferences and genetics. In certain very traditional sects, however, lomales may be much more constrained in their movements.
Regardless of the methods used, lomales are seen as sensual, poised and elegant. They are usually trained from a young age in these arts. Lomales also are usually gifted fielders, and spend much of their youth dealing with the fallout from that, and training their gifts. Iniko was aggressively disinterested in the romantic arts, and failed to display any gift for fielding. Jhe could not escape the pressure from jheas mother, however. Chioma’s fears were only being validated, as the Romulans won the bid to establish the sole alien embassy on Duronis II. Without external oversight, they began kidnapping lomales and experimenting with them, attempting to create Romulan fielders. Desperate to keep Iniko safe, and ignoring Iniko’s own fears, Chioma pushed Iniko ever more forcefully into joining the coven. Thinking that perhaps it wouldn’t be as bad as jhe was imagining, at 18 jhe reluctantly joined the coven.
It was every bit as bad as jhe had feared, and 6 months later, Iniko ran away. Jhe fled to Lokesh City, where jhe could stay with Effiom. Jhe begged him not to tell their mother where jhe was, and he reluctantly agreed to keep jheas secret. Effiom had been getting involved with a small group of anti-Romulan revolutionaries. Iniko was thrilled by the idea of fighting back, a breath of fresh air after being forced into hiding. Jhe threw jheaself into the fight, perhaps a little too enthusiastically. After several altercations with Romulans turned violent, Iniko found jheaself wanted by the authorities. Considering what rumors jhe had heard about what happened to lomales who got captured by the Romulans, Iniko realized jhe would have to go back into hiding. This time, though, jhe would do it on jheas own terms.
With the help of some of jheas fellow revolutionaries, jhe managed to sneak off planet, and seek refuge in the Federation. Jhe attempted to plead with the Federation to help oust the Romulans, but their group didn’t have enough backing yet, and there was too little evidence of the atrocities being committed for them to make any moves. Nonetheless, Iniko was offered asylum, and began trying to live on jheas own as a refugee.
Two years later, the Romulans were finally forced off of Duronis II, and Iniko had another choice to make. Jhe had not managed to make much of a life for jheaself in the Federation, but jhe was free to study what jhe wanted and live where jhe wished, and there were no expectations that jhe would follow a certain path because of jheas gender. It was a difficult decision to make, but jhe eventually decided not to go back to Duronis II. Once jhe completed jheas studies, jhe joined Starfleet at 21.
- 236604.07 : Born, Rania, Duronis II
- 2379: Laudeans reach warp
- 2383: Romulans establish only offworld embassy on Duronis II
- 238405.06 : Joins Shaphire Coven
- 238411.14 : Leaves Coven to join Effiom in Lokesh City
- 238510.23 : Flees Duronis II
- 238706.19 : Joins Starfleet
- 239205.11 : Graduates From Starfleet Academy
|Cadet First Class||239205.11||Graduated Starfleet Academy||-|
|Ensign||239205.11 - 239207.26||USS Darwin-A||Engineering Officer|
|Lieutenant JG||239207.26 - 239311.01|
|Lieutenant||239311.01 - Present|