|Lieutenant Commander Ethan Brice|
Lieutenant Commander Ethan Brice is the charming and slightly crazy Engineer on the USS Darwin-A.
- 1 Stats
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Manner
- 4 Personality
- 5 Family
- 6 Personal History
- 7 Academy Records
- 8 Professional History
- Full Name: Ethan James Brice
- Race: Terran
- Date of Birth: 235708.22
- Place of Birth: Manchester, England, Earth
- Age: 30
- Gender: Male
- Telepathic status: 0 (See Telepathic/Empathic Scale). Ethan has no empathic or telepathic abilities genetically, but has developed a very small touch-empathic sense from using the canar stone with Commander Karynn Ehlanii, but only with Karynn.
- Height: 6’2” feet
- Weight: 170lbs
- Hair Color: Brown
- Length of Hair: Short
- Eye Color: Green
- Skin Tone: Light
- Birthmarks, Scars:
- Inch wide round scar on left shoulder
- Circular scar on right hand, about an inch wide
- Bullet sized scar on stomach
- Tattoos/Body Modifications:
- Celtic Triple Goddess covering his left shoulder
- "Brethren of the Ronin" on right upper arm, thanks to a farewell party and Danny Wilde.
- Build: Athletic
- Carriage: Carries himself tall and straight, unless reading when he is slightly slouched
- Poses: He folds his arms and regularly leans on things
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): T-Shirts, Shirts and Trousers
- Shoes: Boots or shoes when wearing formal suits.
- Voice: Tenor, although slips deeper when he's thinking out loud.
- Handedness: Right
- His quarters don’t portray a man with a lot of time on his hands. On the shelf below his window are the holoimages of his family. There is also the rugby ball from the Oxford vs. Cambridge match season finals the year he left the College. It is accompanied by a holoimage of the team together in full kit covered in mud.
- There are a lot of computer parts strewn around his living room, in various places.
- Favourite Room: Main Engineering.
- Scratches his shoulder, whistles to himself and also sings in the turbolift and shower, because no one's listening... right?
- When frustrated or thoughtful, he runs his hands through his hair.
- He drums on his legs when alone and, if he has an object in his hand resembling a pencil, he drums on the objects that clutter his desk.
- Has the uncanny ability to tell some awful jokes.
- Physical Limitations: Basic human limitations; still can’t lick his elbow.
- Temperament: Very calm in most situations but can get very frustrated when pushed.
- Habits: Lifts his eyebrow (nicked from Danny Wilde) and over thinks things.
- Religion/Spiritual Devotion: Agnostic.
Ethan is often found in Main Engineering or his R&D Office, conveniently located next to Main Engineering. What Engineer doesn't live in there?
Hobbies and Pastimes
- A true passion he found when in and likes to when he gets the chance.
- A no brainer for an Engineer. Ethan had been interested in tinkering from a young age and can often be found messing around with things that worked perfectly fine before.
- Holoprogram Design
- During his first years at the Academy, Ethan got involved with a few Cadets who liked to program holonovels. Like a book club, they would create a holonovel and shared their experience and program with the others members of their club. It was interesting for the young Ethan and gave him a huge insight into other's tastes in programs. Since then, he has pursued this and believes that if he hadn't been an Engineer, he would've taken up programming professionally.
- 20th Century Music
- While technically he is a fan of the music, he prefers the musical equipment. He has a set of turntables in his Quarters and a slowly growing collection of archaic vinyl records, however, considering their rarity, they are indeed quite expensive and he has a wedding to save up for now.
- Not a particularly exciting pastime, but Ethan has used up many hours thumbing through copies of the Starfleet Engineering Journals and a very tattered hard copy of "How I Did It" by Zefram Cochrane
Likes and Dislikes
- Food - He prefers home cooked meals and traditional food to replicated. He loves Potato Pie and Red Cabbage washed down with old Ale. Food has never really been an issue for Ethan as he is not very fussy over what he eats, despite not liking Pasta. He has a fondness for Bajoran dishes and can only eat Klingon after a drinking session, when it becomes more of a dare. He also doesn't like sweet potatoes.
- Drink - When it comes to drink, Ethan has not many preferences. He likes Guinness and other brands of stout; Bajorans do a particular type of beer that he likes. When not drinking alcohol, he prefers tea to coffee unless he needs an ultra kick start in the morning.
- Music - Classical music is not a favourite of his. He likes 20th century music and listens to it when he is calming down in his quarters or doing something which requires a lot of concentration. In Main Engineering, it gives the message that he doesn’t want to be disturbed. Perfect. He has recently developed a liking for a band called Warp Drive and the Ithassa Five.
- Illness - Despite having suffered more injuries than a red shirted Ensign, Ethan does hate being ill because he feels like he has a distinct lack of control and becomes dependable on others.
- Needles - Ties in the Illness. He hates needles, so is quite thankful they live in a time when needles are defunct.
- Fools - A petty hate that he has picked up from Chief King. He has become increasingly unable to suffer fools; however it is not unusual for Ethan to be the one to start the foolishness. Anything for a laugh.
- Poker - What can be said about Poker Night? Ritually, Danny Wilde, Ethan and Ben Walker have held their poker nights to maintain that male bonding thing that Counsellors go on about. Lately Jhen Thelev and Jackford Kolk have joined in the nightly activities, testing poker faces and putting the replicator to the test.
Ambitions and Goals
Ethan has no long-term ambitions other than to be a good father to his child. Matthew’s birth and his marriage to Karynn changed a lot of aspects of the Engineer’s life. In the short-term, he would comment that he would like to head his own Shipyards.
Personal Achievements and Disappointments
- Brice, Matthew
- Matthew is the son of Ethan and Rebecca Hollendale born on stardate 23807.16. While not disappointing exactly, the circumstances of his birth are. Ethan was at the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards at the time and didn’t know about Rebecca’s pregnancy. He returned to the USS Ronin to discover he had a two month old son.
- USS Achilles
- This is a particular disappointment for Ethan. On Stardate 238510.23 Ethan directly disobeyed important orders from Commander Ben Walker which resulted in the Thetis system to be detached from the Achilles vessel. He was subsequently ordered to reinitiate her into the ship and has been banned, indefinately, by Tess.
- Marital Status: Married
- Spouse: Karynn Ehlanii Brice
- Place of Marriage: Twilight's Edge, Deep Space 17
- Mother: Gillian Clarice Brice ((nee. Fraser))
- Date of Birth: Stardate 232602.09
- Place of Birth: Ilchester, Somerset, England Earth
- Date of Death: N/A
- Short Biography: Gillian is one of those mothers’ that was proud of Ethan for his choices in life. No matter which way his career decisions had taken him, she found a way to disapprove in an approving manner. Needless to say, Gillian will always be a tower of support for the young Engineer as he moves through his career. She works for a local school near Eton and still enjoys teaching.
- Father: Anderson Arthur Brice
- Date of Birth: Stardate 232312.07
- Place of Birth: USS Curgan
- Date of Death: N/A
- Short Biography: Anderson is another story entirely. His own experiences with Starfleet have left him slightly bitter towards their work in the Ithassa Sector. He worked teaching Applied Science to First Year Cadets but resumed his original posting in Tactical for Wolf 359. Anderson decided after never to step foot on a vessel again and resides in Eton, England with his wife. He is the Headmaster of a prestigious Academy for the education of pupils from 1-18.
- Brother: Joshua Anderson "Andy" Brice
- Date of Birth: Stardate 236111.20
- Place of Birth: Eton, Windsor, England Earth
- Date of Death: N/A
- Position: Currently a Science Officer on the USS Tiger-A.
Ethan was born in Manchester, England Earth to Gillian Fraser and Anderson Brice. Shortly after Joshua’s birth in 2357, the family moved to Eton, Windsor, England to be closer to Anderson’s work. With both parents involved in schooling of other children, Ethan and Joshua were shipped off to boarding school.
After a traditional English upbringing of a toast and jam breakfast and a boarding school education, Ethan developed an interest for all things tinkerable. He was often found wandering the halls of his school looking for left objects like tricorders and holonovel diskettes to take apart and rework. It was often noted that he could take something apart and forget how to put it together again, leaving a few very disgruntled Professors in his wake and several depleted PADDs along the corridors. He was also the subject of many suspicions when the computer network disassembled itself and lessons had to be conducted without access to the LCARS system for a week.
Ethan joined Starfleet at the age of 18 and has continued to study the developments in Engineering Science since. He has worked on many vessels as well as buildings, a nod to his earlier career decision to be an architect. He has a fascination for the very Gothic in architecture and design from early periods of Earth history, often going for walks around the Holodeck in various programs that highlight this first love magically. Some favourites include Notre Dame de Paris, Île de la Cité, France and Brunelleschi's Dome for the Duomo of Florence, Santa Maria del Fiore.
- See: Personal Relationships for a more in-depth look on each character listed here and their relationship to him.
Important Relationships Included:
Commander Karynn Ehlanii (USS Drake)
Rebecca Hollendale (Rockyford, Colorada, Earth)
Captain Benjamin J. Walker (USS Ronin)
Ronan Tully Adair-Walker (USS Ronin)
Danny Wilde (USS Ronin)
Captain Idril Mar (USS Independence-A)
Lieutenant Commander Jackford B. Kolk (USS Ronin)
Lieutenant JG Sarah Reed (Starbase 118 Ops)
Lieutenant Commander Jhen Thelev (USS Tiger)
Major Kassa Quay (USS Discovery-B)
An archive of SIMs and Joint Posts that culminate all aspects of Ethan's relationships and professional life.
JP:Lt.Cmdr Ben Walker, Lt.JG Ronan Adair & Lt. Ethan Brice - The Four
JP: Lt. Karynn Ehlanii & Lt.Cmdr Ethan Brice - Fighting Fair... Or Not...
JP - Ensign Karynn Ehlanii and Lieutenant Ethan Brice - Getting to Know You
JP - Ensign Karynn Ehlanii and Lieutenant Ethan Brice - Something Simple
JP - Ensign Karynn Ehlanii and Lieutenant Ethan Brice - That Which Does Not Kill Me
JP - Lieutenant JG Karynn Ehlanii, Lieutenant Ethan Brice, and Matthew Brice - Caretaking
JP - Lieutenant JG Karynn Ehlanii and Lieutenant Ethan Brice - It Never Rains
JP - Lieutenant Karynn Ehlanii and Lieutenant Commander Ethan Brice - Explorations of Partner-ish-ship
JP - Lieutenant Karynn Ehlanii and Lieutenant Commander Ethan Brice - "Us"
JP - Lieutenant Karynn Ehlanii and Lieutenant Commander Ethan Brice - Same Old Tree
JP - Lieutenant Karynn Ehlanii and Lieutenant Commander Ethan Brice -A Touch Deeper
JP - Lieutenant Karynn Ehlanii and Lieutenant Commander Ethan Brice - Fix You
Lt.JG Ethan Brice (as Jim Jackson) - To Love a King
- 235708.22: Born in Manchester, England, Earth.
- 236002.05: Relocated to Eton, Windsor, England Earth
- 237209.02: Finished school and attended Cambridge College, during the Michaelmas Half.
- 237309.04: Became a Scholar at King’s College, Cambridge, England Earth.
- 237609.10: Joined Starfleet Academy
- 238108.11: Assigned to Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards for construction and refit training.
- 238201.17: Assigned to the USS Independence as an Engineering Officer at rank Ensign.
- 238204.19: Promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade by Rear Admiral Jessa Anassasi.
- 238207.01: Re-Assigned to Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards to work on repairs of Gorn War vessels for a year. Also works on a Starfleet Intelligence protocol when repairing the Achilles vessel.
- 238307.16: His first son, Matthew James Brice is born to Ethan Brice and Rebecca Hollendale without Ethan's knowledge.
- 238308.01: Joined the USS Ronin as the Chief Engineer.
- 238408.24: Promoted to Lieutenant by Captain Idril Mar.
- 238507.28: Is wounded by a falling chandelier from the ceiling of The Inn on the Moor while investigating Captain Idril Mar's disappearance. He was punctured in the chest, stomach, right hand and left foot by the metalwork.
- 238507.29: Promoted to Lieutenant Commander by Captain Robert Morgan.
- 238510.23: On an Away Team mission to the USS Achilles, Ethan removed the AI Thetis from her program and detached her from the vessel. This has caused Thetis not to accept Ethan on her vessel ever again.
- 238510.25 - Transferred with Captain Idril Mar to the USS Independence-A as Chief Engineer.
- 238703.11 - Transferred to Research & Development in Engineering on the USS Independence-A.
- 238803.14 - Wed Lieutenant Commander Karynn Ehlanii at Twilight's Edge, Deep Space 17.
- 238808.22 - Due to the loss of the USS Independence-A, posted to the USS Tiger-A in Research and Development.
- 238904.10 - Transferred to the USS Apollo as Chief Engineer and finally Research and Development.
- 238908.01 - Stationed at Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards for development of new weaponry and armor. Repairs of large cruisers were also underway due to the Klingon attach in the Ithassa region.
- 238904.10 - Redeployed to the USS Apollo for Research and Development in the field.
- Date of Entry into Starfleet Academy: Stardate 237609.10
- Date of Graduation: Stardate 238108.11
- Major: Propulsion/Warp Theory
- Minor: Mathematics
- Professor Abersmyth, Cochrane Academy
- “Well, what more can a Professor want? Cadet Brice has shown impeccable attention and interest toward Propulsion Theory. I have to admit, his overall interest in the subject has surprised me and undoubtedly he will only continue to become even more devoted to this area of his Academy and Professional life. However, he still owes me three pieces of coursework from his second year.”
- Professor Sar-Lek, Cochrane Academy
- “I am still not impressed with the conduct of Cadet Brice. Trust him with a Starship? I’d rather entrust my collection of dilithium crystal particles to a Kagor. Ask him to program a replicator algorithm and you'll get a mixture of potato mash, pork sausage and a black stout! Sure, he can calculate with the best of the Cadets in this institution as long as the hangover from the night before has worn off!”
- Date Graduated from Academy: Stardate 238108.11
- Current Rank: Lieutenant Commander
- Current Assignment: USS Apollo
- Duty Post: Assistant Chief of Engineering
|Recent Professional History
Awards & Commendations
|Awards and Ribbons as of 239003.19
Research & Development Office
When not pottering around Main Engineering on the different levels or climbing through the endless lengths of Jefferies Tubes, Ethan can be found in his Office sat in his comfy chair, drinking tea and finger drumming on his wooden desk. It’s not always in a perfect state and usually has bits and piece strewn around on the multiple shelves. His reports are conducted from the office and it’s his usual meeting place for a morning drink with his Senior Engineers.
He has the inclination to create himself a laboratory in there in order to make the invention and creation of gadgets and gismos a little easier.
Level One is the haven for the young Engineer. He nicknames it the “drive room” because for him, it is the main room for the ship. Without it, the ship wouldn’t run, hence “drive room”. He takes great pride in Main Engineering and has threatened a few times to decorate it himself.