Nash Avery Blaxland (born October 10, 2348) is a human journalist with a career spanning over 25 years. Since 2398, Blaxland has been a correspondent for the Federation News Service, based dually on Earth and Starbase 118. He was previously an FNS correspondent from 2392 to 2394.
Early life and education
Nash Blaxland was born in 2348 in Tblisi, Earth. His great-great grandfather and namesake, Nash C. Blaxland (2224–2320), was also a notable journalist, as were several more of his forebears.
Blaxland graduated from the University of Tasmania in 2371, and from the University of Alpha Centauri in 2373, earning undergraduate and graduate degrees in journalism. He worked on, and served as the editor-in-chief of, the student newspapers of both universities. In 2372, the Detapa Council invited Blaxland and 39 other student journalists from across the Alpha Quadrant to study at the University of Culat on Cardassia Prime. Several months later, when the civilian government was overthrown and Cardassia joined the Dominion, the arrangement was abruptly canceled and he was deported.
After completing his education, Blaxland was hired by Linnunrata, an Earth-based news and entertainment syndicate, to report regularly from the Bajoran sector and Deep Space 9. The Dominion Ware broke out before he arrived, and Starbase 375 served as his primary base for much of the next two years. In 2376, he relocated to Starbase 118 and worked as a freelance journalist for the next five years. During this period, his articles were syndicated by a number of Alpha- and Beta Quadrant news sources, including the New Sydney Inspector, which recruited him as a full-time reporter in 2381.
New Sydney Inspector
Beginning in 2381, Blaxland worked for the New Sydney Inspector, reporting primarily on issues of law, crime, and politics. In 2388, he was promoted to assistant editor, and then to managing editor the following year. In late 2391, he resigned after a decade with the paper, citing the New Sydney government's increased pressure to limit critical reporting and reveal identities of confidential sources. He relocated back to Starbase 118 in 2392, and began contributing to the Federation News Service as a reporter.
Federation News Service, sabbatical, and book
From 2392 to 2394, Blaxland worked for the Federation News Service, and divided his time between Earth and Starbase 118. His articles covered a broad array of subjects, including culture and sport, but he continued to report primarily on United Earth and Federation politics.
In 2394, he left the FNS and relocated to Bajor to research a book on the tension between secular and religious leaders in Bajoran politics. This book, The Land and the People, was published in early 2397 to mostly favourable reviews, although the Vedek Assembly criticized it for what it perceived to be an anti-clericalist bias.
Following the publication of his book, Blaxland returned to Starbase 118. As of 2398, he is once again working as a reporter for the FNS.
Nash Blaxland lives on Starbase 118. He also has a flat in the Pikris Gora neighbourhood of his hometown, Tblisi, although he does not have occasion to visit very often. Since 2395, Blaxland has been in a relationship with Tormo Boras, a Bajoran poet and performance artist.
FNS articles written by Nash Blaxland
- Stardate 239804.02: Unsealed Cardassian records implicate restaurateur in collaborator controversy
- Stardate 239803.12: Bajoran Central Archives wins arbitration to unseal Cardassian records
- Stardate 239801.22: Copernicus City theatre to stage Betazoid, Cardassian adaptations
- Stardate 239403.06: Professional Tetraball undergoes major expansion for 2394 season
- Stardate 239401.18: Borderland colony commemorates second anniversary
- Stardate 239309.05: New Sydney declared potential candidate for Federation membership
- Stardate 239308.14: Hologram runs for seat on Tycho City Council
- Stardate 239306.10: Starfleet considers recruitment center shake-up
- Stardate 239304.21: Outpost Unity: A slice of home in the Delta Quadrant
- Stardate 239304.05: Nouakchott, Punta Arenas to host United Earth Parliament
- Stardate 239303.01: New Sydney applies for Federation membership amid ongoing economic ruin
- Stardate 239302.22: Narala names Ventu as Federation Secretary of the Exterior (co-authored with Reza Kardgar)
- Stardate 239302.07: Narala declares "age of action" at presidential inauguration
- Stardate 239302.04: President Bacco delivers farewell address
- Stardate 239301.21: United Earth rolls out red carpets for presidential inauguration
- Stardate 239301.16: Narala embarks on pre-inauguration tour of Federation
- Stardate 239301.06: Berlin Zoo welcomes first targ pups
- Stardate 239212.17: End Program: Life Outside the Grid
- Stardate 239210.15: Voter apathy a major concern on Bajor
- Stardate 239209.25: Bolians protest Cardassian practice of wearing Bolian skin clothing
- Stardate 239208.28: Policy changes put future of New Zealand Penal Settlement in doubt
- Stardate 239208.23: Demand exceeds supply of 'finest' bloodwine vintage in 83 years
- Stardate 239211.02: Earth suffers shock loss to Terra Nova in Olympic hockey qualifier
- Stardate 239211.02: New development in shield technology unveiled; Badlands perhaps not so 'bad' anymore
- Stardate 239211.02: Accident-prone Bajoran Kai suffers fall while visiting DS9
- Stardate 239209.28: Former 'failed' colony New France returns to post-currency economy
- Stardate 239209.24: New West End revival of Earth musical Cats features an all-Caitian cast
- Stardate 239209.01: Hasperat pizza and kava burgers on the menu at The Orb of Taste, Luna's first Bajoran restaurant
- Stardate 239208.28: Lakarian City amusement center reopens on Cardassia Prime
- Stardate 239208.26: Kesprytt III again denied Federation membership
- Stardate 239208.23: Earth commemorates 350th anniversary of final World Series baseball game
- Stardate 239208.18: Norway wins 437th annual Eurovision Song Contest
- Nash Blaxland is a PNPC of User:Didrik Stennes.