Roland Weston is the over-educated, under-motivated Ensign in the Diplomatic Corps currently assigned to the USS Drake as their diplomatic liaison.
- 1 Biographic Information
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Personal History
- 5 Professional History
- Full Name: Roland Marius Weston
- Species: Human
- Date of Birth: 236111.05
- Place of Birth: Edicius, Titan
- Age: 26
- Gender: Male
- Height: 1.80m (5'11'')
- Weight: 76kg (168lbs).
- Hair Colour: Brown.
- Length of Hair: Short, but not brush-cut in the military style. Kept neat and somewhat stylish without anything that could be considered extreme.
- Eye Colour: Blue.
- Skin Tone: Caucasian, untanned but healthy.
- Birthmarks, Scars: None visible; Roland has a birthmark that he likens to a cat's paw on his right thigh, just above his knee.
- Tattoos/Body Modifications: None.
- Build: Broad shoulders, otherwise fairly average.
- Carriage: Walks with confidence, chin up and shoulders back - has been described as "as if he owns the place" - and usually has the ghost of a smile.
- Taste in Clothing (when off duty): Good slacks, semi-formal shirts without the accoutrements (i.e., top button open, no tie, etc.). Earth business casual, so to speak.
- Voice: Deep and smooth, with a careful non-accent. Roland has been known to consciously change his accent when required, and does it well.
- Handedness: Left-handed.
Roland's past, in a small ship that travelled everywhere a young child could dream of adventuring to, has left him a bit on the odd side. He tends towards a mild paranoia, always covering traces of his passing almost unconsciously, whether he is using a computer or visiting guest quarters; like most security officers (but distinctly unlike most diplomats) he is always at alert, watching out for things around him that are out of place.
Roland gets a distinct adrenaline rush when he deals with a diplomatic event, or "social puzzle" as he has been calling them since he was old enough to really think them through. He has been known to describe it as a zone he falls into not unlike those that athletes enjoy, where he is at the top of his game and able to perform with more confidence and skill than he otherwise would have enjoyed.
Because of his enjoyment of social situations, Roland makes small efforts whenever he is in a new situation to make friends and allies immediately. He has a penchant for gift-giving, enjoying the challenge of finding the perfect item, and tends to find nicknames for people quickly, finding that it builds a quick rapport.
Always concerned for his brother's well-being, especially since the two of them both have a habit of getting themselves into troublesome situations; Roland is never sure if Oliver will be able to get out of one on his own (as he knows Oliver worries the same way about him). Because of this - and the sometimes-extreme measures their father bred into them - the brothers tend to request postings to the same ship, and often have private signals, minor technologies and even complicated procedures for situations they anticipated that Starfleet protocol doesn't cover.
Hobbies and Pastimes
- Trivia: Roland soaks up minutae; as a result of their family's mindgames, he not only has a great memory for such things but thirsts for it. He can often be found reading texts on a wide variety of subjects in his idle time.
- Poker: There was no denying that Roland's ability to mask his thoughts and emotions helped him get through some boring nights at the Academy - and earned him some new ones as he gambled away his chores and minor duties.
Likes and Dislikes
- Dance: With some experience in diplomatic situations prior to his joining Starfleet, Roland joined several dance-based societies in the Academy and became quite knowledgable in dozens of formal dance styles, from the waltz to the Cardassian gorell. He particularly enjoys Lindy hop style swing dancing in informal situations.
- Acting: Roland is a diplomat, and a lot of that is pretending to be something that you are not - often, sympathetic or empathic to a degree you just do not feel. Roland began practicing by trying to fool his parents into believing he was someone different, and he and Oliver both developed the talent to grand degrees, even perfecting minor accent variations and walking styles when necessary. Roland is particularly proud of his ability to speak other languages (Klingon and Andorian, specifically) with various Earth accents.
- Seafood: Roland just never got used to the taste of seafood as a whole, though he has been known to bully through it when necessary.
- Violence: Roland is not a fighter, and would much rather find his way out of a situation with words than with weapons (or worse yet, fists).
- Security Officers: An unreasonable dislike that even he will admit to, Roland doesn't like anyone knowing more about him than he knows about them - and that happens too often with security officers. Contrary to instinct, Roland makes a specific point of getting to know anyone in the security department he will be working alongside so that this is never the case.
Ambitions and Goals
Roland has never been a particularly ambitious person, lacking any sort of focus or impetus to move towards "grander things." His goal has always been adventure, and joining Starfleet just seemed like the best way to get it - with ships bigger than he and his brother could afford on their own, they would be ranging further and doing more.
Since joining Starfleet, Roland has realized that most of his rushes come when he is placed in a command situation - there are more opportunities to stand in front of the viewscreen and find yourself with a challenge involving someone who usually has weapons focused on you - and so he has found himself wanting a command position. Thankfully he was brought up with a great deal of patience.
Personal Achievements and Disappointments
If he were asked by a close friend (or Counselor, see Medical File), Roland would admit that he did not see anything he had done as a particular achievement. Roland is hard on himself and constantly goes over past social situations, picking them apart and finding ways they could have gone better. Unlike many people who do this, Roland finds himself able to tune all of those doubts out during actual situations and deal with them later, learning from them but never really moving on until he is thrust back into "the zone."
Roland has not yet unpacked his personal quarters, as he just moved onto the Eagle. His first priority was the professional end of things, and he has only hung one painting, in that section.
- Marital Status: Single.
- Number of children: None
- Mother: Sabrina Weston (Terran).
- Father: Marius Weston (Terran).
- Brother: Oliver Weston
- Full Article: Weston, Roland - Personal History
Born in a small Terran Colony ("Edicius") on Titan, Roland was the first born son to Marius and Sabrina Weston, a pair of contracted explorers - which meant that Roland doesn't know Edicius nearly as well as a man should know his "home town." Taking after his father, Roland was known through his training class as the best poker face of the Academy - though he had a bad habit of using it, well, for poker. Roland was, like his brother, gifted with his parents' intelligence and incessant lack of focus.
Like his brother, Roland's home-schooled curriculum was intensive in a number of things most officers would never imagine doing - from stylus-writing to Shakespearean sonnets, Roland and Oliver were subjected to daily tests of minutia that never fails them on missions abroad... sadly, usually in the most ridiculous scenarios that their boredom tends to get them into.
- 2361: Born.
- 2364: Oliver is born.
- 2373: Roland and his father encounter some Klingons and have a "diplomatic encounter" with their Captain.
Ever since an encounter at the age of twelve taught him how the rush of social interaction could affect him, Roland knew that he wanted the adventure of meeting new people to last for the rest of his life.
Joining Starfleet late, at the age of 23, was largely prompted by his brother, who wanted them to join together. The brothers were posted as Ensigns to the USS Eagle on graduation.
Starfleet Assessments and Records
- Full Article: Weston, Roland - Starfleet Records
Roland excelled at some parts of Starfleet Academy - primarily those he found interesting - but found himself with good grades despite not paying much attention in some of his other classes. When he came to the Academy he dove right into the social scenarios presented, Roland was Student President for his Academy College and was short-listed for valedictorian status but lost out to someone he respected a great deal.
- Date Graduated from Academy: 238711.18
- Current Rank: Ensign
- Current Assignment: USS Eagle
- Duty Post: Diplomatic Liaison
Roland does not currently have an office, but keeps part of his quarters set aside for any meetings he needs to have in a professional capacity. It is a warm, comforting area, kept very neat without looking sterile. An Andorian painting hangs on one wall in that area, of a sunset over a sea on Andor.
- 2380: Enters Starfleet Academy.
- 238711.18: Graduates from Starfleet Academy.
- 238711.21: Posted to the USS Eagle as the Diplomatic Liaison.
- 238803.02: Transferred to the USS Drake with the rest of the Eagle crew.
|NPC Roster · Drake Senior Staff · Crew History|
|CO: William Rogers · XO: David Whale |
COO: Solok · HCO: Kendall Washburn
|IO: Oliver Weston|
|CEO: Pandora · EO: James|
COS: Sakorra Jefferson Reed · SO: Nemitor Atimen
CTO: Sinda Essen · TO: Vacant
|CMO: Dantin-Vex · Coun: Danzia|
ACMO: Vacant · MO: Vacant
SCO: Alexander Richards · SCO: Enabren Rayn
|CIV: Didrik Stennes|