|Crew of SS Shining Star|
|Civilian Yaren Tol|
[[StarFleet Serial Number Register|]]
- Current Rank: Civilian
- Duty Post: Civilian, Merchant Trader Captain
- Current Vessel: Embassy of Duronis II
- Date Assigned: 238303.17
- Species: Trill (joined)
- Gender: Male
- Age: 33
- Date of Birth: 235001.06
- Place of Birth: Trillius Prime
- Hair Color: dark brown
- Eye Color: brown
- Height: 1.8 m
- Mother: Nariam Dira
- Father: Renan Dira
- Siblings: Ginelle Dira (younger sister)
- Spouse: none
- Children: none
Yaren Dira was born in 2350 on the Trill homeworld. His father was a laborer and his mother a secretary for the same company. He had a normal childhood, the standard schooling, and a wonderful home life. His parents wanted more for him, however. They pushed and prodded, forced him to "work up to his potential", which Yaren felt was a little too much for him. But he didn't want to let his parents down, so he worked as hard as he possibly could...and then tried harder. He was burned out by the age of 14. He was placed into a mental health care institution due to his breakdown.
His parents blamed themselves, but Yaren held no hard feelings. Over the course of the next two years he underwent therapy, which progressed nicely, and even resumed his studies, albeit at a significantly reduced stress level. He was released back to his parents at age 16, and went back to school. His parents still wanted the best for him, but Yaren was uncertain of what he wanted to do with his life. He had no goals, no drive.
Yaren's favourite uncle, Fremah, worked for the Trill Symbiosis Commission, and thought that having a symbiont might help Yaren. Fremah doctored up an application for Yaren, and by the age of 18 Yaren was poised to receive a symbiont. Fremah was found out, and forced to resign from the board, but it was too late...Yaren had already undergone the procedure and had progressed far enough along that to remove the symbiont would have killed him.
Yaren's life took a dramatic turn for the better once he became host to the Tol symbiont. His confidence level was boosted; he had direction, and felt like there was a reason for him to live...something he had been missing for a number of years. Yaren applied to Starfleet Academy, and was accepted to the Starbase 118 campus. He struggled in most of his classes, excelled in a very few, and decided on pursuing a career outside of Starfleet, rather than set himself up for the inevitable failure he knew would follow. A local merchant trader offered to take Yaren on and teach him the trade. Things had been going well, until the freighter was captured by Dominion forces during the war, and the merchant captain killed as an example. The rest of the crew were relatively unharmed. After the war, the merchant captain's will was read, and stated that the business was to be divided up equally amongst any surviving crewmembers. Yaren took his share and bought back the freighter. He's been plying the trade lanes around Starbase 118 ever since.
Yaren is the fifth host to the Tol symbiont, and the second male host. Previously, the Tol symbiont had been hosted by Kilanda (Janom) Tol, a university professor whose focus was literature, and who carried Tol for 46 years. Previous to that, Tol had been hosted by Faram (Tinla) Tol, a Lieutenant Commander and Chief Engineering Officer with Starfleet, who was host for 21 years. Before that, Tol had been hosted by Dinara (Salor) Tol, a famous poetess, who carried Tol for 78 years. The first host of the Tol symbiont was Ellaan (Eldrene) Tol, a prestigious politician and member of the Trill government, who had the honor of carrying Tol for 53 years.
- 236809.03 - entered Starfleet Academy
- 237005.04 - dropped out of Starfleet Academy
- 237010.25 - hired by Captain Nalor Drotham of the Byzantine-class freighter "Shining Star"
- 237306.14 - the "Shining Star" is boarded by Dominion forces and Cpt. Drotham is killed. Yaren and other crewmembers were held captive until the end of the war.
- 237511.16 - amazingly, the "Shining Star" was found drifting exactly where she had been left. The crew sold her and the cargo and distributed the money.
- 237511.29 - Yaren buys back the "Shining Star", and with a few automation modifications begins his career as a freighter captain.
- 237608.24 - the "Shining Star" changes its previously established route to open new trade frontiers and is not heard from again at Starbase 118.
- 238104.01 - the "Shining Star" returns to Starbase 118, and Yaren meets his old friends Zhynn and Rym. Romulan spies attempt to steal the "Shining Star" but are captured by base security. Yaren sets off for parts unknown.
- 238303.17 - While on Duronis II, was hired by Prof. Anson Robertson as part of his archaeological team
- Previous Ships Served On: StarBase 118 Ops
- Awards Received: n.a.
- Groups: Retired (now an NPC of Varaan's)
- This is/was a secondary character of Varaan.